• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bako

Stretch a texture.

This topic is 3662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi all. I've some issues to do with the texture, I've a texture and i want to apply that on a quad. I've look at the examples done in the tutorials but i want to do something else. i want to stretch the texture on the y axis of the quad and repeat the texture on the x axis of the quad. it's possible? tnxs

Advertisement
i found a solution, but i don't know if it's a good way.
so:
first save the width of the texture when the texture is loaded.
then, when I've to display the texture, i compute the value of the point like this:

float value = (float)glc.getWidth()/w;

where w is the width of texture.
and draw the quad with texture:

gl.glBegin(GL.GL_QUADS); // Start Drawing A Textured Quad
gl.glTexCoord2f(-1.0f, -1.0f);
gl.glVertex2f(-2.0f, -2.0f); // Bottom Left

gl.glTexCoord2f(value, -1.0f);
gl.glVertex2f(2.0f, -2.0f); // Bottom Right

gl.glTexCoord2f(value, 1.0f);
gl.glVertex2f(2.0f, 2.0f); // Top Right

gl.glTexCoord2f(-1.0f, 1.0f );
gl.glVertex2f(-2.0f, 2.0f); // Top Left
gl.glEnd(); // Done Drawing The Quad

it's a good way to proceed??

One thing you can avoid is doing the division at the top. If you are doing what I think you are... you are dividing the textures width by its width which would always result in 1. This still works and gives correct coords that can be mapped, however it can be avoided.

Here is one way to think about it when just learning. Get a sheet of paper and set it in front of you. Let the bottom-left corner have coordinates of (0,0). Now you want to stretch an image across the paper to the bottom-right corner. This corner would have texture coordinates of (x,0) where x is how many times it repeats. This means the coordinate (2,0) would repeat your image twice and coordinates of (1,0) for this corner would be stretching the image to this corner with no repeating. The top-left corner would be similar with coordinates of (0,y) where y is how many times it repeats vertically. Finally, the top-right corner would be (x,y) with x and y having the same meaning as before.
With this same example how many full images would be displayed with the top-right coordinates of (2,3)? (Assuming (0,0) (2,0) (0,3) as the other coordinates) The answer would be 6 because it repeats twice horizontally and 3 times vertically.

Also, negative and fractal quantities for texture coords are legal. For example .5 would only map half of your image and -1 would mirror it (Assuming correct order of winding).

Hope this quick rundown of texture coordinates helps. My best advice would be to hard code different numbers in for the texture coordinates and see if it matches what you think it should.

Try:

glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL_REPEAT); // Repeat on X axis
glTexParameteri(GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL_CLAMP); // Stretch on Y axis

Then texture coordinates are clamped between 0 and 1 on the x axis, and for example, going from 0 to 2 on the y axis will repeat the texture 2 times in the y direction.

Quote:
Original post by mako_5
Try:

*** Source Snippet Removed ***
Then texture coordinates are clamped between 0 and 1 on the x axis, and for example, going from 0 to 2 on the y axis will repeat the texture 2 times in the y direction.

i try, but maybe i miss something. so, i've done like this:

load the texutre

public void loadGLTextures(GL gl) throws IOException {
String tileNames[] = {"demos/data/images/logo.png"};

gl.glGenTextures(1, textures, 0);

TextureReader.Texture texture = TextureReader.readTexture(tileNames[0]);
//Create Nearest Filtered Texture
gl.glBindTexture(GL.GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[0]);

gl.glTexParameteri(GL.GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL.GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL.GL_LINEAR);
gl.glTexParameteri(GL.GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL.GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER, GL.GL_LINEAR);
gl.glTexParameteri(GL.GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL.GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S, GL.GL_REPEAT); // Repeat on X axis
gl.glTexParameteri(GL.GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL.GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T, GL.GL_CLAMP); // Stretch on Y axis

gl.glTexImage2D(GL.GL_TEXTURE_2D, 0,
texture.getWidth(),
texture.getHeight(),
GL.GL_RGB,
GL.GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE,
texture.getPixels());
}

display

public void display(GLAutoDrawable gld) {
GL gl = glc.getGL();

// Clear The Screen And The Depth Buffer
gl.glClear(GL.GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL.GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);
gl.glLoadIdentity(); // Reset The View
gl.glTranslatef(0.0f, 0.0f, -2.0f); // Move Into The Screen 5 Units
gl.glBindTexture(GL.GL_TEXTURE_2D, textures[0]); // Select Our Logo Texture
gl.glBegin(GL.GL_QUADS); // Start Drawing A Textured Quad
gl.glTexCoord2f(-2.0f, -2.0f);
gl.glVertex2f(-2.0f, -2.0f); // Bottom Left

gl.glTexCoord2f(2.0f, -2.0f);
gl.glVertex2f(2.0f, -2.0f); // Bottom Right

gl.glTexCoord2f(2.0f, 2.0f);
gl.glVertex2f(2.0f, 2.0f); // Top Right

gl.glTexCoord2f(-2.0f, 2.0f);
gl.glVertex2f(-2.0f, 2.0f); // Top Left
gl.glEnd(); // Done Drawing The Quad

gl.glEnable(GL.GL_BLEND); // Enable Blending
gl.glDisable(GL.GL_DEPTH_TEST); // Disable Depth Testing
}

but this is the result http://bako.interfree.it/result.jpg

emm, other question: there's no possibility to rotate a texture? i've to rotate the matrix?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!