• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Ludichris1

game engine for Vista? (and a rag-doll question)

This topic is 3609 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Can anyone tell me game engines that work on Windows Vista? Also, how is Microsoft XNA? I haven't downloaded it yet. Can you give me a link to the editor's screenshots? Is it good for beginner-intermediates?

Advertisement
Im not too sure on what free engines are out there. XNA does make directx easier to use, however you still need to know how to program. For game development, you wanna start small. Perhaps build a text-based tic tac toe, then go on to tetris, then a sidescroller, maybe a 2d rpg, and go on to 3d from there.

All of them should, really, unless they're rather poorly written or *really* archaic, at which point you probably shouldn't be using them. You're also somewhat unclear by 'game engine' here-- from the sound of it (i.e. "screenshots of the editor") you seem to be looking for a premade thing not unlike Valve's Source engine or id Tech 4 that you can mod. Consider picking up a copy of HL2 or Doom 3 off Steam and tooling around with it.

Incidentally, euphoria does not "do" ragdoll physics. It's an AI package that you integrate with a full-blown physics and animation system, such as Havok, PhysX, ODE or similar. Both Havok and PhysX are free for non-commercial use at time of writing, (so is ODE, but it's open-source anyway) although doing said integration is far from trivial. I myself am working on a (hopeful) competitor to NaturalMotion's DMS technology I nicknamed Marionette. AFAIK it'd be the second standalone DMS middleware package in existence, so don't get your hopes up about seeing that kind of stuff real soon.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!