c++ ide for Ubuntu

Started by
10 comments, last by GenuineXP 15 years, 4 months ago
Hi everyone.I intend to use Ubuntu and want to know what's the best C++ IDE for this OS.If possible whit links to get the IDE. Thanks .
Advertisement
Code::Blocks is a free cross-platform C++ IDE, but I've never used it, so I can't comment much on its quality. I have heard decent things, though.

Geany is a glorified text editor that has many features common to IDEs. It actually supports editing many languages, not just C++.

The free, cross-platform IDE Eclipse also offers C++ support.

Finally, there is, of course, Emacs, which you probably have by default. It's a (very) extensible text editor geared heavily towards programming. There are plugins available for virtually every language. At its core, Emacs is an interpreter for a dialect of Lisp called Emacs Lisp. Extending Emacs usually involves extending the core Emacs Lisp code of the program. Emacs has a steep learning curve, and it's certainly not for everyone. But it's been in heavy use on Linux platforms for many, many years now, so it's garnered a dedicated community and vast support. To automate build processes, you might look into make and Autoconf.
Well, in the past I've used KDevelop and Code::Blocks. I like both of them a lot, but I think that KDevelop feels more stable. However, it tends to favor autotools, which isn't very nice (in my opinion). On the other hand, Code::Blocks tends to act up sometimes for me, but it has decent code completion.

I'd suggest you try both out, and see which you like best. KDevelop can be installed with apt-get/aptitude or a GUI of your choice. Code::Blocks is a bit different, because I don't think it's in the Ubuntu repositories. You can, however, get a .deb build of it, then install with dpkg.

Some other IDEs include Eclipse and Anjuta.

I hope that helps.
I tend to find IDEs are not very useful if you are proficient with the command line. If you are a command line person, you probably need a build system instead, so have a look at these:
Edit: greengrocer's apostrophe ;)

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

NetBeans
Eclipse
Also, if you install eclipse, you are better of downloading it from the eclipse website and installing it instead of just apt-get-ing it. The version in the ubuntu respository is really old.
~Dantar
Eclipse has great features for Java, like on-hover API popups, code completion and some code skeletons for loops and such, refactoring, etc. You'll have to download the "for C++" version and see for yourself just how many features carry over to those C++ modules, but in any case, Eclipse is a polished and useful IDE to work in, so I'll recommend it also.

Also, like DantarionX has already said, don't get the archaic repository version, get a version directly from the Eclipse homepage.
I heard that qdevelop is a good one too, never tried it though.
Quote:Original post by JParishy
Well, in the past I've used KDevelop and Code::Blocks. I like both of them a lot, but I think that KDevelop feels more stable. However, it tends to favor autotools, which isn't very nice (in my opinion). On the other hand, Code::Blocks tends to act up sometimes for me, but it has decent code completion.

I'd suggest you try both out, and see which you like best. KDevelop can be installed with apt-get/aptitude or a GUI of your choice. Code::Blocks is a bit different, because I don't think it's in the Ubuntu repositories. You can, however, get a .deb build of it, then install with dpkg.

Some other IDEs include Eclipse and Anjuta.

I hope that helps.

I used KDevelop just because the game programming book I was using at the time already had source code files for KDevelop. I must say getting it installed on a recent Ubuntu distro was alot more work than I cared for. If you do apt get KDevelop it seems to miss alot of dependencies like autotools,make, and even the g++ compiler if you can believe that! Not very intuitive at at. Eclipse seems to be all the rage from what I hear so I'd try that before KDevelop to save yourself some grief.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
My usual pointer towards Netbeans 6.5. IMO, it's the only usable C++ IDE on Linux. In other words, it's the only that remotely comes near to Visual Studio.

Ecplise for C++ and Code:Blocks are both mediocre. Anjuta and KDevelop are absolute garbage. Emacs is not an IDE but a religion (words cannot express how much I detest Emacs...). Command line is just ridiculous nowadays (except for automated builds), especially for debugging.

Try Netbeans, you will be surprised. It's really good.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement