• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
thisisashan

Howdy

This topic is 3610 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Has been a while since i've been a part of the dev community (bout 2 years) so while i'm not a beginner, I am having to start a lot of my work over again, which is half the fun. Mostly i have a few questions. I am working on a 3d game, with a static camera position, and am wishing to do the game for windows and a port later for phones using eclipse dev ide. Right now, my biggest questions are as follows. 1. Has the XNA programming library improved any? Is the importing of 3d models still set in stone during compile time? 2. Can i use managed C# (w/ xna lib), and use C++ in the form of DLLs without much loss of speed, or am i looking at losing a bunch of speed simply from using C# as the root language to simplify things? (I was also wanting to use C# for its interaction w/ the web... is C++ on key with C# as far as web access/control goes nowadays?) 3. Does anyone know some good tutorials on basic 3d to get me started again, esp. as far as the basics. The camera angle will be static, so it doesn't have to get very complex into camera position. 4. I was thinking that maybe I should look into getting some 2d tutorials to get started back into the game, does anyone know a good place for me to find some relavent to my situation? (xna/C#). Some background on my programming might help you guys. I have been programming in C++ on and off for 7-8 years now, C# about 2 years, and have made several games in old dos C++ using DJGPP and the Allegro library tools. I have a background in other languages too (cobol, basic, vb, .NET, jcl, etc) but they're not as applicable in this situation. Its always been for hobby though (with the exception of cobol/jcl). So I never went past the several C++ books i've read and into anything extremely advanced. Also the game is to be a 3d snowboarding game with an interesting twist or two. Thanks ahead of time for any help you guys can give me. -shan

Advertisement
Hi there!

1. XNA has had content pipeline extensions since about 1.0 refresh IIRC, but it's far better in v2 and v3, so no, its not set in stone, its simply that the BasicEffect class is a prebuilt helper to get you going faster. They have even released the source shader code to BasicEffect, so you can take that and adapt it.

2. It all comes down to your ability to code. It's been said a billion times before that sloppy code in C++ is no faster than sloppy code in C#. It's really not something to even worry about unless you have oodles of C++ libraries or want to go cross platform (to linux or mac, not XBOX as MS like to call "cross platform"). However I would use C# for web access. IIRC web access from C++ is still messy even in managed C++. C# is far easier.

3. I'm a fan of Reimer (http://www.riemers.net/eng/Tutorials/xnacsharp.php). But there are a billion tutorials floating around, and a heck of a lot of good ones are on the XNA website (http://creators.xna.com/). Google is your friend here.

4. 2D Tutorials come with XNA. There's also a couple of complete 2D tutorial games on the XNA website.

There are also other options, like the MOGRE C# wrapper for OGRE, or Blade3D, or TorqueX for making XNA games with an already built engine.

HTH.

Cool :) thx for the reply, answered most of the questions in my mind. Has the C# language changed any?

Am i able to use pointers now in C#, or is that still off-limits? Thats one of my main concerns with using C++ a bit to help speed things up. ESP as far as streaming file access and array manip. Or does C# rival C++ in those areas now in some other way i'm not aware?

Maybe my questions are angled at a more advanced section in this forum, if so, moderator please move these posts :) I've just been away from programming I feel like a novice once again. :/

Also, any chance of help finding a good tutorial on DLL abuse or any other ways of passing variables and info from C# to C++? :) thanks again :D

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!