• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
EdwardMcGeeXIX

What's a good program for making fighting games?

This topic is 3607 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What's a good program for making fighting games? I know good programs for fighting games are rare, but they do exist... I think. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone here knew a good program to use to make a fighting game. Several other people and myself plan on making a fighting game. We have a lot of written work, but don't know any good programs to use. We need the program to not be limited because we have a lot of characters,etc. Also, the game we plan on making is of the Super Smash Bros. style, not that it should matter. All help is appreciated. [Edited by - EdwardMcGeeXIX on November 30, 2008 4:03:52 AM]

Advertisement
There are no program (at my knowledge) especially to make fighting games. In fact, programs designed to make games at all are rare. There are a few out there, like RPG Maker for rpg games and some other FPS makers, but it's pretty much limited. Fighting games on the PC are rare themselves, can you name some which got released in the last years? I can't.

If by program you meant an programming language IDE and compiler (in this case you are right it's still a program) yes you can make anything you want by programming, fighting games, games in general, or any other program. But learning a language is much more complex than simply using a program, and you shouldn't start learning programming by making games.

Unfortunately, Game Maker is limited(I've used it before) and Mugen(I have played it before) isn't of the Super Smash Bros. fighting style, but we are going to give python and pygame a shot. I appreciate the information and advice from all the people who posted. Also, if anyone knows a good program I will still be checking this topic occasionally. Lastly, if anyone would like to help us make our game feel free to PM me.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!