• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Zotoaster

Using Windows GUI in C++?

This topic is 3611 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey all. I'm wondering how to use a Windows GUI in C++, since I can't find any libraries for it on the net, and I don't want to use Managed C++, lol. Any ideas? Cheers.

Advertisement
You can use the Win32 API directly in C++, although the API is C. You need the Platform SDK, although if you are using Visual Studio Express 2008, the PSDK is included by default.

It is probably easier to look into using one of the libraries that Kambiz mentions. Win32 API programming is a huge and complicated subject.

Quote:
Original post by EasilyConfused
Win32 API programming is a huge and complicated subject.

No, Win32 api is easy.
You just have to follow MSDN docs.
...and I don't talk about thousands of MS samples in PSDK, KB, etc

Managed C++ isn't that bad, as long as you don't mix in native code.
You get to use the nice form designer in Visual Studio. Just remember that ^ is * and % is & and you're good to go (sort of).

Quote:
Original post by EasilyConfused
You can use the Win32 API directly in C++, although the API is C. You need the Platform SDK, although if you are using Visual Studio Express 2008, the PSDK is included by default.

It is probably easier to look into using one of the libraries that Kambiz mentions. Win32 API programming is a huge and complicated subject.

it's actually called the Windows SDK now, and the win32 api isn't THAT big, the majority of what you do is within the same 5% of the api.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!