• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Njguy

Strange compile order

This topic is 3614 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just added an effect class into my project and it compiles without any errors, but kind of strangely it seems. Here is the output. 1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: Engine, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------ 1>Deleting intermediate and output files for project 'Engine', configuration 'Debug|Win32' 1>Compiling... 1>BoundingVolume.cpp 1>Effect.cpp 1>Generating Code... 1>Compiling... 1>Engine.cpp 1>Font.cpp 1>Input.cpp 1>Material.cpp 1>Mesh.cpp 1>Network.cpp 1>RenderCache.cpp 1>SceneManager.cpp 1>SceneObject.cpp 1>Scripting.cpp 1>SoundSystem.cpp 1>SpawnerObject.cpp 1>State.cpp 1>ViewFrustum.cpp 1>AnimatedObject.cpp 1>Generating Code... 1>Creating library... 1>Performing Post-Build Event... 1> 1 file(s) copied. 1> 1 file(s) copied. 1> 1 file(s) copied. 1>Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Desktop\Source\Chapter 10\Engine\Debug\BuildLog.htm" 1>Engine - 0 error(s), 0 warning(s) ========== Rebuild All: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 skipped ========== If you noticed, right under Effect.cpp it says. 1>Generating Code... 1>Compiling... Isn't it only supposed to say this in the beginning?? [Edited by - Njguy on November 30, 2008 2:09:23 PM]

Advertisement
I looked at it again, I really don't know what could be causing it. The app runs, so is it a problem??

If you're running with the multiprocessor switch (/MP), then MSVC will spawn multiple compiler drivers to compile many files at once. This means that your files can be compiled in any order. Because of the way C++ works, order of compilation doesn't matter in any case.

MSVC groups files with the same settings together. So, whenever you see "Compiling..." it starts a new group.

This means, that you Effects.cpp has different compilation settings than the other file. The difference may be very subtle, like the compilation of this file is disabled in one of the compilation targets.

There could also be a limit on the number of files that can go into a single group, but I'm not sure.

Having said all that, that's just how MSVC organises it's compilation process, to speed it up a little (cl.exe is called for each compilation group, not for each file), and does not change the result at all.

It's not weird 'cause probably BoundingVolume.cpp and Effect.cpp has changed or are new ones. Imagine a project with lots of files and then .. you made one little change in just one function of one file. It's really necesary compile the whole project?. So, the cuestion it's why all the other files are being compiling since there has been no changes in them (I suppose)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!