• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Z_of_Thule

any good tile based redering engines?

This topic is 3662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
The only have I have heard of is tage, but I have never used it so im not sure if its *good*
http://tage.sourceforge.net/index.php

Guessing by the amount of details you should probably make a couple games that are tile based before opening up an engine.

By using a complete engine you're forced to learn to use someone elses' bad habits and become tied into their style of coding. Assuming you aren't familiar enough with tile based games you're going to have to learn everything the hard(er) way anyways. so you probably won't be saving any time if you try to build ontop/inside an engine.

Complete engines are also over rated in a lot of cases especially so for smaller games. That said stuff like components aren't if you're familiar with the background IE: sound/networking.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!