• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
maya18222

FBX File format

This topic is 3659 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Ive been looking around as to what format i could use to export animation from 3ds max into my game, at the moment ive just been using .x and .obj for mesh objects. But now im looking at either .md5 or .FBX, but am probaly going to go with FBX due to the sdk and documentation avaliable, whereas from what i can gather, the docs for md5 are just put togeather through experimentation. Anyway, i have a few questions regarding the FBX format. 1. The library is around 25mb? 2. Is there an FBX viewing document? for viewing the data in text terms? like the treeapp example in the sdk, but one that shows all info? 3. The examples in the SDK seem to be building a new mesh each frame of animation, theres lots of vertex arrays being created each frame, is this just to make the example easier? or is this required when using FBX files? 4.Do any existing games work with the FBX format? 5. What are your overall opinions of using FBX file format in game?

Advertisement
I'm no expert on the SDK, but I think the idea is that you use the SDK to convert the data to your game format prior to shipping the game, not ship the game with the sdk and convert the data at run time. FBX is just a format (and it has an ASCII representation too, which you can set in 3DS MAX in the exporter). XNA uses the FBX format in its content pipeline.

Quote:
Original post by maya18222
1. The library is around 25mb?

Its a 65Mb static lib.

Quote:
2. Is there an FBX viewing document? for viewing the data in text terms? like the treeapp example in the sdk, but one that shows all info?

Save it as a text version, open in notepad. Alternatively use motionbuilder (fbx is motion builders file format).

Quote:
3. The examples in the SDK seem to be building a new mesh each frame of animation, theres lots of vertex arrays being created each frame, is this just to make the example easier? or is this required when using FBX files?

required. google skinning

Quote:
4.Do any existing games work with the FBX format?

No, it's too in-efficient with regards to loading times, memory usage, and data layout. Numerous games may use FBX as an input file to an offline converter to a game format, eg MD5. But no one would consider linking to fbx directly in their games engines. The fact it's closed source means it's never going to run on console.

Quote:
5. What are your overall opinions of using FBX file format in game?

A terrible idea. FBX is ok as an intermediate file format, but it's definately not designed for use within a game itself.

Thanks for the reply,

What format would you suggest then? i dont think any others have any documentation do they? except from what people have discovered via experimentation?

Other than .x, from which what i gather is no longer used. Basically im looking for a format i can get plugins for 3dsmax for, and than run in my game. And there is md5 exporters that i know of, so maybe that would be the best bet?

Quote:
Original post by maya18222And there is md5 exporters that i know of, so maybe that would be the best bet?

MD5 is probably a pretty good bet. Worst case scenario, you can always write your own max exporter using the ascii import/export as an example.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!