• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
SuperJman

Steps to 3D programming?

This topic is 3611 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am new to the whole game development scene as well as the programming one. I have had little experience prior to this post, mainly web-based work with php/msql and a general knowledge of programming syntax. I just have a quick or possibly not so quick question for you today. I was wondering, what kind of programming experience does it take to make a basic 3d FPS and are there any specific paths I should take to get their? My plan so far is to learn basic c++(Already accomplished), and write some basic programs like a calculator. Then get to learning a graphics API such as direct3D which I can use for making 2d games. After finishing some simple 2d programs like pong and tetris I then might have the skill required for 3d programming. Starting to program in 3D is when me and a couple of friends will meet up hopefully ready to get this thing on. Out goal is to program a basic 3d FPS using this library: - Crystal Space (3d real time SDK, if you have not heard of it.) Then to top it off our final goal would be to network the game with something like Winsock etc. In conjunction with my main question, is this path wise? maybe direct3d would be bad to learn or maybe their is some fatal flaw in my learning plan. Anyways do you think I could pull this off working on c++ (and other vital skills) 1-2 hours a night and be "3D ready" by the summer or is that over ambitious? Regardless my Game developer training has started, "hello world"! Thanks for any reply's, I know its one of the more boring topics out their but everyone needs to start someplace. ~SuperJman

Advertisement
Sounds like you're off to a good start with wanting to build other apps first. However, I also recommend (and so will others) to perhaps build a text based game first. Then a simple 2d like tetris. Then move on to a sidescroller, and then tackle the 3d area. If you want to make the developing of your 3d game easier, you could use XNA, which is an easier to use API of directx that works with C#.

Personally, im more of a fan of c++ myself, and have asked for a DirectX 10 book for christmas.

Things for you to look into for doing 2d apps are SDL, which you can find tutorials at: http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php. DirectX tutorials: http://www.directxtutorial.com/

Theres also for OpenGL: http://nehe.gamedev.net/

Nothing like a good book IMO. Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c : A Shader Approach, by Frank D Luna is a great one. It will teach you DirectX using the programmable pipeline aswell, which is going to be useful in future versions of DX.

Quote:
Original post by JimmyDeemo
Nothing like a good book IMO. Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0c : A Shader Approach, by Frank D Luna is a great one. It will teach you DirectX using the programmable pipeline aswell, which is going to be useful in future versions of DX.

The directx 10 version of that book is the one i asked for. Im currently working on a text based game, then im going to move on to learning more OpenGL, and perhaps some 2d stuff as well.

For a successful and satisfying 3D programming experience, consider below :

1) College math; Trigonometry, Matrices, 2D & 3D Vectors (line & plane stuffs).
2) A good book & API reference on DirectX / OpenGL.
3) 3D models ( you don't have to make your own ) and their file format reference. You should know how to read this file and parse it to recreate the mesh and textures.

I think the above are important, regardless of the library you may be using.

1-2 hours a day, alone, might take you almost a year if you are on basic C++, without the networking part. There are just days when you wont be coding and figuring out your way out of a coder's block, lack of interest or a doomed design.

C++ is safer for a beginner though. So good choice ;).

WOW, thanks so much for all this great information!

A YEAR?!?! till I could be proficient in C++? I was thinking more like 4! ;)
Anyways Thanks again your help was great,

~ SuperJman

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!