• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Programmer K

OpenGL OpenGL Versions and VBOs

This topic is 3661 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have researched many times about which version of OpenGL is the newest. Supposedly version 2.0 is the "newest" but 3.0 beta was released. I haven't found anyone who can answer this question: Which is the newest version of OpenGL and why does the version I download say 1.1 in GL.H? I know Nvidia released beta drivers for specific video cards to run OpenGL 3.0. I also know that version 3.0 is backwards compatible with the older versions. I just don't understand how your supposed to have access to these "open" files when OpenGL's web site doesn't allow you to download the H, LIB, and DLLs. You sure as hell can't program without having them in your Visual Studio folders. Also, please restrain from talking about GLUT because I don't like it. My second dilemma is that I cannot find a good resource on how to use OpenGL VBOs. I found a couple web sites, though they don't explain very well. I know that VBOs are the most efficient way to display 3D objects. I'm also using SDL for window creation. So if anyone has any good web sites or any they can shoot me over to I'd appreciate it!!! /* Programmer K */

Advertisement
Hey, I'm no expert but I just went through this problem a few days ago. I was scouring OpenGL's site for updated headers but from what I gather the way to do it is to use extensions. You can use a third party library to load these extensions for you the one i'm using is called "Glee" but there is also one called "Glew" I think. They make it really easy to check compatibility and stuff.

As far as VBOs go there are a few tutorials around online google "glVertexPointer" and "glDrawArrays" and you might find something. I've been reading through the OpenGL Superbible 4th edition which has quite a lot of updated information if you can get hold of a copy of it.

Hope this helps.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!