SVN ignoring files

Started by
8 comments, last by leandro81 15 years, 4 months ago
Hey. I'm currently trying to set up SVN so I can use it with my game engine. I'm up to the stage of ignoring certain files... I can't seem to get the right click->add to ignore list option when I rick click... so I went to settings and did it globally. I'm just wondering what files I should ignore? I'm using Visual Studio. So far I have: *.ncb *.sln *.suo Should I ignore *.lib and *.obj as well? Are there any I've missed? Cheers.

Advertisement
Ignoring the solution file is probably a bad idea.
.sln is the solution file, right? I'll take that off now.

Should any of these be ignored? I'm thinking .lib and .pch won't be but not sure about the others... .idb .pdb .obj .pch .htm .user .lib

Cheers.

Ignore any files that are generated from the source code - anything in Debug, Release or bin directories. Ignore any user-specific files, like .suo or .vcproj.user.
Ok. Following your advice (and adding some more of my own) I have:

*.ncb *.suo *.user *.lib *.obj *.idb *.pdb *.pch *.md5 *.html *.dot *.css *.png

*.lib was generated from the source code, right? Haha.

You don't need to explicitly ignore these files, just don't add them to source control in the first place... in the commit window, you can just uncheck the "show unversioned files" checkbox so you won't see them in the commit window.

Certainly it's not a good idea to globally ignore .html, .css and .png files. What if you wanted to put them under source control in some other project (e.g. your documentation project)?
I dunno.. I'm using the free version of unfuddle so I can apparently only have one project which is all I need.

I'm not sure I'm doing it right... I have the source code in a directory called SDL_Game_Engine... and when I right click in that folder and checkout, the URL of repository is already in there, but what do I choose for the checkout directory? I made a folder called SVN_Repository and put that in and then hit ok (to checkout) and no files were added...

The definitive book for SVN is avaailble free, online. It's a pretty long read, but I'd highly recommend it.
You'd probably want to ignore *.dll, right?
Right click -> TortoiseSVN -> Properties.

There, click on "Add..." and then select "svn:ignore" on property name.
Then type all masks on the Property Value field (one mask per line should do it).

As someone already pointed it out, don't ignore those files globally, because you never know when you'll need to version it.
<br/>GDNet journal: Endeavours On Managed Code Land

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement