• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
dean nolan

New freelancing website, critique please

This topic is 3661 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I am just starting as a freelance software developer/web designer. I have created a very basic site to advertise with and hopefully put up a portfolio and blog in the near future. The link is www.deannolan.co.uk Currently I just have a home page with a description of services, a bit about me and the site. Plus a hire me form. The idea was to have a very simple site with a nice design. However I was wondering if you guys could check it out and see what you think and offer any recomended changes etc. I was hoping to send out an email to contacts at the end of the week to announce the site and my services, with a little christmas bonus thrown in ;) Thanks for reading. Dean Nolan

Advertisement
No content, I can't really critique a site with no content. You need to put more images/texture and use softer colors. You're site looks too 90's. It is often said that web developers suck as designers. I learned that the hard way but if you want people to appreciate the site you need to follow more of the web 2.0 style. I would take a look at some sites that follow this style before building one. I didn't mean to offend you but I'm only offering my opinion based on what I've seen from experience.

Yeah, when I first posted this I had a site up that was graphic rich and Ajax effects etc.

But on another forum I got a lot of responses that said it was rubbish so I took that down. What you saw was me experimenting with a colour theme for my redesign (I have took it down now).

But some people reckon that is rubbish too.

I think however I will build the site around this and then work on each section to make it look good.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!