Jump to content
  • Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
fovmester

My OpenGL/AllegroGL game doesn't work on a computer where it wasn't built!

This topic is 3606 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Recommended Posts

Hi. I have a really strange problem (which probably is a newbie problem)! Me and my friend are working on a network game using OpenGL and AllegroGL. It can be run in server mode or client mode with the same exe-file, by specifying a command line parameter. The server works fine on any machine we've tried it on, but the client mode ONLY WORKS on the computer where the exe was compiled and built! What happens on other computers is that the game window opens, never updates and then the program quickly eats up all the RAM on the computer. There is no exception thrown or anything else. What is so strange is that if we take the EXACT same source files and build the game on the second computer (where we couldn't run the client), then the newly built client will run without problems! How can this be? Since the server runs smoothly on either computer, and the only difference between the server mode and the client mode is that we do not initialize OpenGL and AllegroGL in the server, my guess is that it has something to do with these libraries. We have tried to link both statically and dynamically but we have not found a solution! I am sure that there is an obvious solution to this problem, but I'm lost!! :) Grateful for any help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Advertisement
It would be interesting to know what OS are you using as well.

Windows' programs wouldn't run at all if a dll is missing, a big fat MessageBox would let you know about the missing file, but since apparently the program does run, it could be picking a different, older, buggy dll from the PATH, have you tried running the client on more than 2 computers?.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm using MinGW C++ and DevCpp. My computers are all WinXP. I've tried it on three different computers, here are the specs I know from the top of my head:

AMD Athlon64 X2
ATI Radeon X1300...
2 GB RAM

Intel Centrino Duo
ATI Radeon Mobility X1400
2GB RAM

(my friend's laptop)
Intel Pentium 4...(single core)
...might be Nvidia
1 Gb RAM

I don't get an error message which implies that the dll's are there. The strange thing is that the program does work on all three computers IF it was compiled on that computer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Advertisement
×

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!