• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
sgergo

Strange stuttering.....

This topic is 3610 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, here is a small app. I'm working on (.exe, static linked all libs, should work OK without VC++ 2008 redistrib.): http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/4/1678823/gl_basics.rar I've got some problems with it which I just can't figure out: 1. Push VK_UP key to start scrolling (to stop just push VK_DOWN). First it scrolls okay but after a couple of secs it starts to stutter in an aperiodic manner. My rendering function is very simple - just a couple of lines in ortho mode. 2. Make it fullscreen and stop scrolling. Click anywhere on the screen and (with left button down) drag the grids horizontally with rapid moves. Whilst doing that you should see an ugly 'breakline' in the middle of the screen. What could be the problem? All tips are welcome, sg

Advertisement
I have no idea, because apparantly, my telepathetic powers won't work on your executable. How about posting some code?

Toolmaker

Quote:
Original post by Toolmaker
I have no idea, because apparantly, my telepathetic powers won't work on your executable. How about posting some code?

Toolmaker

I have no idea why do you need the source code just to check the behaviour of an executable.

Quote:
Original post by sgergo
What could be the problem?

Your code is broken. Fix your code and the problem will go away.

Your problem description doesn't lend itself to showing an immediate solution. It could be a whole number of things. It is easy just to post a little bit of initialisation and rendering code which you may think is the problem.

Have you enabled double buffering? Rendering to a single buffer can make things appear to rip. If using SDL or glut you need to pass an extra command to the initialisation step. Look this up if you aren't already for whatever method you are using to get your OpenGL context.

EDIT: Okay I just ran your program and didn't notice any stuttering when scrolling or any ripping when moving the mouse fast. I did manage to crash the program though by dragging the mouse for a bit and the lines got really close together.

Quote:
Original post by havok4567
Your problem description doesn't lend itself to showing an immediate solution. It could be a whole number of things. It is easy just to post a little bit of initialisation and rendering code which you may think is the problem.

Have you enabled double buffering? Rendering to a single buffer can make things appear to rip. If using SDL or glut you need to pass an extra command to the initialisation step. Look this up if you aren't already for whatever method you are using to get your OpenGL context.

EDIT: Okay I just ran your program and didn't notice any stuttering when scrolling or any ripping when moving the mouse fast. I did manage to crash the program though by dragging the mouse for a bit and the lines got really close together.

Thx for the tryout! I guess I was misunderstood or my problem wasn't described properly. I needed to check my exe on other machines. In the meantime I tested on my home machine and it went smoothly.

Also the app. has been tested by other guys too and they didn't notice any hiccups. The problem only occurs on my office machine which has a pretty weak graphics card compared to the present standards. It's a Geforce4 MX 440 with 64 MB ram which seems pretty archaic these days.

Could this be the problem?

EDIT: The extreme zoom out crash is a known bug I'm also working on. Thx.

No problem. I think that will be the problem to be honest. I'm running a Nvidia 8800 320MB and its fine. Ran smooth as. What is the program going to be? It seems interesting so far..some sort of graphing app?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!