• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
thisisashan

Free vs Pay

This topic is 3659 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, got a lot of my program mapped out logic wise. Next step is to choose my dev tool heh... So I was wondering, is there anything I will be missing with the free versions of Visual studio? I need the following. -ftp like web manipulation -sql support -xna library support -.net support -C# and C++ interfacing together Any love for all this from the free version? Is there anything I should know before i jump into the ring, like something i am going to kick my butt for later for not purchasing a retail version? Please help :)

Advertisement
Wow... 114 views and not a single reply? Seriously... Anyways, guess I am going to pay 20,000 dollars and get the best version...

*shrugs*

can't be missing anything right?

Or, you know, you can go straight to the source to see what precisely is the difference between the versions. I mean who better to tell you than the people who stand to make a fortune if you actually need a feature in a version you have to pay for.

The express versions do not, in any way, impede what you can do with the language. In short, if you could have used code that accessed things on the internet, such as an ftp service, you can do it in any version. The same goes for access to databases, use of libraries [like xna], use of .NET [which is freely available, and packaged under the windows sdk these days if i recall correctly], and C# and C++ interfacing together in any way that they are capable within their respective language specifications.

One of the great things about Visual Studio is that the free versions are compatable with the full versions. A solution file from Express Edition will work just fine in Professional. Why not start with the free and then move on if/when you find yourself missing features that you need?

thank you guys, thats what i wanted to know... I just didn't want to have to scrap everything and have all my code useless. :)

I will go with the free version for now, and since the source is fully compatable, upgrade as needed.

And, back when i was programming more frequently, the express versions did impede upon what you could do, you could compile, but not run. So i didn't know if they had changed that, since that was way back in the post beta VS 2003 days.

Thank you for your help.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!