• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bumperman

Cube with triangle strips and vertex normals

This topic is 3610 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am trying to calculate vertex normals for my objects. By the way, I am not experienced in computer graphics. I took a sample from: http://pille.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/wiki/index.php/Cube It draws a cube with triangle strips. Please don't suggest quad strips for cube because my purpose isn't draw a cube but to figure out a way to calculate vertex normals for triangle strips. I have studied this example couple of times to figure out how each triangle is drawn, in terms of vertex ordering; whether triangles are drawn CCW or CW. I am confused in a few places where these tris don't follow CW-CCW alternating order. How does this alternation work exactly? To see alternation, from where and toward where should we look at; from face normal to 0, 0, 0? or from 0, 0, 0 to vertex normal, or, from current viewport (whereever gluLookAt is looking at)? Some posts on GameDev unwraps triangle strips - but these strips are located on different planes; how are they unfolded? In order to calculate vertex normal, I should know which vertex is shared in which face, therefore, I should know which order each triangle is drawn. Basically, I would like to know how triangle strips work and how are vertex normals calculated for each individual vertex? Thanks!

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!