drawing tablet - Any suggestions on where to start?

Started by
7 comments, last by VanJames 15 years, 4 months ago
This is complicated, so many choices in hardware and software. Need to increase productivity and increase resolution that can output large high-resolution posters. (Movie poster size) Any suggestions or comments about the technology? The drawing tablet: Wacom Cintiq 21UX LCD. a website link: http://www.digitalgraphicsresources.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=112&gclid=CJDrm8T1nZcCFQKJxgoddhbbGw Thanks
Advertisement
What exactly are you asking for? Do you want recommendations on which tablet to buy? (Intuos3 4x6 or 6x8 if you're on a budget; 12x9 or Cintiq if you can afford it.) Opinions on the quality of the Cintiq? (Excellent.) Feedback on what it's like to use one? (I very much enjoy using the Cintiq, but some people - already used to the Intuos2 and earlier - find that having their hand in the way is inconvenient. I suspect those who prefer the Cintiq are drawing and painting, while those who don't doing photo manip or structured design.) Want to know how it works? (More than you probably want to know.)

If you're more specific in asking your question, we can give you more specific answers.
Thanks - I am haveing my artist research this question more.
The more we learn, the more complicated the question (and budget) becomes.
I find that drawing directly on the screen is a very good solution ( Tablet PC )
Do you think the Tablet has good resolution for larger detailed art?
And thanks for the great feedback everyone!
I am starting from scratch, just at the beginning of a steep learning curve.
Oluseyi, I was told paying $2000 for the Wacom Cintiq 21UX or 20WSX was to much.
Does the Cintiq come with Illustrator?
Does the tablet need additionally purchased software applications?

What I need:
1. As a painter (oil on canvas) I want a similar look using a tablet.
2. Need output for reproducing the 'paintings' on stretched canvas or paper at min. 300dpi.
3. Ability to create files at resolutions of 300 to 600 pixels/inch.
4. Ability to create files in tiff, png, and jpg format.
5. Need not be a portable tablet. It should USB into my desktop.
6. Need ability to use digital files to reproduce at poster size and up to 48"x72" on various substrates (papers and canvas).

Your recommendations on which tablet to buy based on the above criteria much appreciated! -VJ
VJ-artist
Quote:Original post by VanJames
Oluseyi, I was told paying $2000 for the Wacom Cintiq 21UX or 20WSX was too much.

Yes, they're expensive pieces of equipment. There's a cheaper, smaller one - 12 inches diagonal, $999 - but even that is an expensive proposition. If the Cintiq is out of your budget, then grab an Intuos3 in the largest size you can afford and have the workspace for.

An alternative is a Tablet PC. It "only" has 512 levels of pressure sensitivity, but it's more than adequate for digital art.

Quote:Does the Cintiq come with Illustrator?

No.

Quote:Does the tablet need additionally purchased software applications?

The tablet is an input device, like a mouse. It comes with some bundled software, but it's mostly trial and low-end versions (think Photoshop Elements).

Quote:1. As a painter (oil on canvas) I want a similar look using a tablet.

Function of the software. Look into applications that simulate natural media, like Corel Painter or ArtRage (Painter is better, ArtRage is cheaper). You can accomplish the look using Photoshop, or Sketchbook pro, or MSPaint if you know enough about the material and light and have enough patience, but certain applications make it easier.

Quote:2. Need output for reproducing the 'paintings' on stretched canvas or paper at min. 300dpi.

That's between you and the commercial print service you employ (as purchasing a large-format printer or plotter is cost prohibitive for most people).

Quote:3. Ability to create files at resolutions of 300 to 600 pixels/inch.

All professional level digital painting applications allow you to set pixel resolution and image dimensions.

Quote:4. Ability to create files in tiff, png, and jpg format.

Photoshop, Painter, Sketchbook Pro, ArtRage, Paint.NET... they can all save in those formats.

Quote:5. Need not be a portable tablet. It should USB into my desktop.

Intuos3, Cintiq 12WX. There are vendors other than Wacom, but I've never used any of their products. They are usually cheaper, though. Google is your friend [smile].

Quote:6. Need ability to use digital files to reproduce at poster size and up to 48"x72" on various substrates (papers and canvas).

Talk to your print center.
O.K. then it sounds like I just need a tablet input device and an app. like Corel Painter or ArtRage loaded on my desktop? Then I'll be in business for sure. Let me know if this is right. Thanks!-VJ
VJ-artist
Oluseyi, oh yeah...what great extensive info you gave! What great fun. I love coming here to get the reallllll info that works. Talk later. -VJ
VJ-artist

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement