[web] 3D Web pages

Started by
5 comments, last by ToohrVyk 15 years, 4 months ago
Hello OK first off what I would like to do is is explain what I'd like to do. so what I want to do is essentually create a 3 dimensional environment for a webpage in place of your traditional webpage. an example of this would be that someone types in the url for my webpage and loads into a 3 dimensional lobby. in the lobby the user could walk around and look at pictures in there or walk over to desk where a clerk is sitting that will allow them to access information on the site or directions as to where to go. essentually I plan on building I guess you could say an entire building that people could go through. I would end up using it as a kind of virtual office where I could sell things or do a number of other things as well. I haven't really done any web programming with the exception of some html and very little asp. As of right know I know C++ and visual basic 6.0. I also have a little experiance with java but haven't used it in a while. I also have some experience in opengl. So essentually what I wanted to know was want would be the best way for me to go in terms of language. it should be easy to use fast and reliable since this would be my website i'd rather it not take forever to load constantly be going down. Thanks for any help you can give me and if you have any questions feel free to ask away.
Advertisement
You're probably looking for an applet technology: Java, Flash or Flex. Just keep client-server communications to a minimum and reduce the size of files (or distribute them over several servers) and the server should be able to keep up.

Of course, as with all non-text web sites, you'd need to spend quite a bit of time on SEO, because Google won't be able to read the content of your site.
1995: VRML
Followed in 2004 by its successor X3D

Of course, not many users will have a VRML or X3D enabled browser, so putting something together in Flash or Silverlight (already has a 3D rendering framework) might still be reasonable.

If in doubt, just build your 3D website into Second Life :)
Professional C++ and .NET developer trying to break into indie game development.
Follow my progress: http://blog.nuclex-games.com/ or Twitter - Topics: Ogre3D, Blender, game architecture tips & code snippets.
Second Life is probably the go for something like this
Also try shockwave
You could try building an activeX control in C++ then requiring the user to download it in order to see the 3D site but that's overkill. I'd go with Java because it is better performancewise than Flash or Shockwave. It's speed is comparable to C++ from what I've Googled. As for the other technologies I'm not sure about their performance but if you want your site to run on all browsers I'd stick with Java. I know that it's new to you but if you know C++ you'll take off in it pretty quick. I suggest using Netbeans and developing an applet. Good luck!

Codeloader - Free games, stories, and articles!
If you stare at a computer for 5 minutes you might be a nerdneck!
https://www.codeloader.dev

Also, see ShiVa.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement