• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
zyrolasting

(DX9 C++) D3D Params and the need to reset

This topic is 3606 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When I mess around with graphic quality settings in a modern game I play, the screen goes black for a few seconds when changing resolution or requests a restart when I change texture details. However, when I mess around with Multisampling, shadows or other less obvious graphic settings, it's set and ready to go without any interruption. Am I right to assume only some D3D parameters are eligible for a device reset? I figure I'm not, so if that's the case why is there no interruption and it is put to immediate use in game? I figured since Device resets take some time, I would at least have noticed some hang, but not even that.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by zyrolasting
Am I right to assume only some D3D parameters are eligible for a device reset?

Yes.

Things that are set at device creation - resolution, presentation interval etc - require a device reset to change.

Stuff that is performed through things like render states or shaders just require the state or shader or whatever to be changed

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!