Sign in to follow this  

Visual c++ 6.0 with DX9SDK on WIN XP ?

This topic is 3287 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I plan to release soon a game made in Visual c++ 6.0 with DX8.1SDK(actually DX9SDK but i use the DX8 lib.) build on WIN XP. Will the buyers have any problems on running under WIN XP ? Is there anything that i should know ? I'm asking because a bad feeling was formed over the past time. And i don't have time right now to change to VC++2008 and DX9. Thanks.

They shouldn't do, no. Do you now have an XP machine you can test on? As for anything you should know, I'm guessing you mean apart from VC6.0 being a horrible, horrible mess of a "C++" compiler which is broken in many ways [smile]

You should be just fine. I have a game that I sell that is writtn in VC++ 6.0 and it works just fine on all platforms from win98-Vista. Part of why I have not updated is that If I do update then I will loose win98 people and my web site shows about 8% of the people in the world are still using win98 -- at least 8% of the people who are searching for the type of game I have (casual).

Quote:
Visual C++ 6?

ROTFLMAO!

The first thing you need to do is get yourself a decent compiler
I just had the pleasure of upgrading one of our enterprise apps from VC6 to VC8. Ended up with an IDE that actually works and some nicer, cleaner code. Then they threw a Solaris 8 box at me with GCC 2.95 and was threatened with down-porting the nice new code to something that is, yes, worse than VC6 [bawling]. Sometimes life is cruel.

Quote:
Original post by starman2049
Part of why I have not updated is that If I do update then I will loose win98 people
So the MS Download centre is wrong then? Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86) says:
Quote:
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 98; Windows 98 Second Edition; Windows ME; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP Service Pack 2
I suspect its not entirely up-to-date as they're missing the 6th gen Os's [lol]

hth
Jack

This topic is 3287 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.