[web] sup, my friend needs help with her webpage.

Started by
2 comments, last by VerMan 15 years, 4 months ago
she emailed me this: I am the newest of the new web page builders, so new I still use Trellian and although there is an option to code it manually, I have very little idea how to do that, but that isn't even my problem. Currently I have just a page of various news links and links to other sorts of things, such as this forum, my forum, good astrological resources, ancient Sumerian and other writings, ect... so I plan to add other sections. What I want to do is also make a page that has an almost daily news roundup, kind of like a blog. Quite basically all the stories I post on my board each day (or almost each day) I'll make into one post with summaries of each story and links to source or whatever. So this page, if I can get it right, will become the index page, my links page will become another page that links off from it. I know how to build a page with links to other pages, but what I want to know is, when I go in and update each time, what do I do with the page from the previous day? I want to keep them around for resources. Eventually I'll have hundreds and then thousands of them. If I have a link to "archives", would that be a page I have links to all the other daily news from, for each day? Would I just change the url of the new page and then have the old page be linked to from the archives? A year or so ago I tried this and what I ended up with was one page about 6 miles long. That simply won't do. Another question: do you know an easy way to explain how to build a site map? Please do not refer me to Google's tutorials because apparently I am too retarded to understand them. so can anybody on here help her, I'd really appreciate it. d:)
It is not just a game anymore, it is much.. much more then that...
Advertisement
You'd usually do this with some server side scripting and a database.
I don't know her skills in that area, so wouldn't it be easier to just use a off the shelf solution for this, like WordPress? It would have all the desired functionality already built in.
The easiest way to get this done is to use an existing blog solution, such as Wordpress (if she wants to host it herself) or even Blogger (if she's fine with being hosted elsewhere). These provide all the necessary functionality for what she needs, and signing up on Blogger is a one-minute process.

perhaps your "friend" can ask by herself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement