simple lua syntax checking

Started by
3 comments, last by NovaBlack 15 years, 4 months ago
ok so im sure this has been mentioned but i cannot find it! (so apologies) lua debugging is driving me NUTS. Specifically.... syntax errors.. wow...you totally dont realise how much you rely on the compiler normally.. ill never berate it again! Is there any tool, that literally just allows me to load up a lua script, and will simply highlight syntax errors? Something so simple would be SO useful its untrue!
Advertisement
You might try googling for "free lua debugger" or something similar. For example, I found this free lua IDE which has a debugger.
http://code.google.com/p/lua-checker/

Does that help?
Lua comes with a commandline compiler, which will spit out syntax errors in the script, if there are any. Its possible to hook up the compiler into Visual Studio, so it compiles all the Lua scripts ( if you've included them into the project ) with that compiler, and output any errors it encounters. That way you can catch comiple time syntax errors, conviently within Visual Stuido.

You'll have to google for it, I'm not sure exactly how it's done, only used such a system in the past.

Good Luck!

-ddn
yeah sorry guys! i downloaded several debuggers i found on google but other than keyword highlighting they didnt actually do much to help spot errors in syntax!

Cheers ddn3 totally didnt realise lua came with a commandline compiler... Ill give it a go now! Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement