I could use some one on one math help.

Started by
6 comments, last by acidwillburnyou 15 years, 4 months ago
I'm currently having trouble solving a few problems on a pre-calc assignment and was curious if anyone had maybe a half an hour to an hour to spare to explain the problems to me? The problems range from simplifying a radical bi-nomial, inverse notation, solving for an unknown variable, cross-multiplying with fractions that have exponents, and an overwhelming function. I would be very appreciative!
Advertisement
I dont think anyone is interested in doing your HW but if you post the question with a problem you don't understand or need further explaination. Someone will help you out... right now your way too vague on your need help issue.
Well, from your lucid description, it sounds like I have the problem solved for you.

You take the inverse of the exponent, solve for the known variable and cross-multiply the result by the radical bi-nomial. Simple, problem solved.
_Austin,

I'm the forum moderator. Please note that homework problems are off topic here. This is a game development forum, not a tutoring forum. However, sometimes these questions are allowable as long as you follow the rules. The forum policy on homework can be found in the Forum FAQ. We do try to actively enforce the policy.

So, that said, I would rather that you not post a specific assignment here in detail. While it is possible for someone to merely give broad advice or explanations, the reality is that someone will just answer the thing for you. And I don't feel that seeing an answer is the best way for you to learn how to solve the problems for yourself. I'd rather you talk with your teacher, or fellow students, in a live conversation. There are two reasons for the forum policy. That idea is one of them. The other is that I don't want this place to become tutor central for math students.

If you choose to post a question here, please do so with care, and do tell us that is is homework and that you are not asking for a detailed solution.

Thank you!
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
I will say that I am perfectly fine with you coming here to connect with someone, then go use, say, an instant messaging system to converse one on one. That live interactivity potentially will help you learn to think through the problems moreso than the delayed interactivity of a message board forum.
I certainly was NOT asking for the answers to my homework, that is possibly the most irresponsible thing I've heard of. That would be so counter productive in my case as all my math classes build off each other, plus I would much rather know the correct way to solve a problem then just the easy way out by an answer.

I do understand that your response, though offending, is just as there are probably quite a few previous visitors that just wanted answers. I do apologize for coming off in this way. I was merely asking for someone to take a little bit of time out of their day to, hints the words, one on one with me via some kind of collaborative online drawing board to explain to me the process of solving certain types of problems.

Thanks anyways.
_Austin,

I'm sorry that you found my post offending. I honestly meant it to be informative only. Your post didn't state a problem or ask for an answer. But there are, sometimes, posts here by people who just copy problems out of textbooks, verbatim, wanting a solution. Sometimes, those people are brand new, just registered to ask the question and don't even bother to reply again to their own post to thank those who did their work for them. Almost nobody reads the individual forum policies (e.g., Forum FAQ), I believe, and I merely wanted the policy to be known. It bothers me personally, within myself, when a thread goes further than I would like, with solutions given to school type problems...I feel like that when it goes so far, it is a disservice to the person who asked the question.

I didn't mean to single you out, didn't mean to imply that I thought you were going to fall into that pattern. So, my strong statement was...I see...offensive and I need to be more careful about how I deal with posts such as yours.

Again, please accept my apology.

heh, this thread is humorous. anyways, you can add me on msn: karan.bhangui@gmail.com and i'd be happy to help out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement