Sign in to follow this  

[GRRLIB (Wii)] Problem scrolling a background

This topic is 3302 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone! I'm making a game for Wii with the grrlib libary wich work over libogc, but I'm having a problem with a tiled based background; I can't scroll it. This is my code: The map:
const short Back_map[3][4] = {
{ 0, 0, 0, 0 },
{ 0, 0, 0, 0 },
{ 0, 0, 0, 0 }
};

The function wich draw the map:
void DrawMap(void) {
	short i, j;

for(j = 0; j < 4; j++) {
     for(i = 0; i < 3; i++) {
		 Back.x = j * Back.w;
		 Back.y = i * Back.h;
		 GRRLIB_DrawTile(Back.x, Back.y, Back.w, Back.h, Back.texture, 0, 1, 1, 255, Back_map[i][j], 1);
		 Back.y = Back.y + 5; // With this line and below, the map should scroll, but it doesn't move :S
		 if(Back.y == Back.h) Back.y = 0;
     }
    }
}

The function GRRLIB_Drawtile(...) is GRRLIB_DrawTile(xpos,ypos,tilewidth,tileheight,texture,rotation,scaleX,scaleY,alpha,tile,number of tile); The map is drawed correctly but it doesn't move... Some help? Thanks and greetings!!

I'm not familiar with that library so I can't be 100% on this, but I think I see your problem.

for(j = 0; j &lt; 4; j++) {
for(i = 0; i &lt; 3; i++) {
Back.x = j * Back.w; //This will always set x to the same position, unless w change. Undoing any changes you made to it elsewhere.
Back.y = i * Back.h; //Likewise for y and h.
GRRLIB_DrawTile(Back.x, Back.y, Back.w, Back.h, Back.texture, 0, 1, 1, 255, Back_map[i][j], 1);
Back.y = Back.y + 5; //You now increament your position, but it means nothing because you reset it each time before you draw it.
if(Back.y == Back.h) Back.y = 0;
}
}

In short, your modification of x is undone each time you go to draw your background. Therefore you'll never see the change.
My advice would be to draw it against a stored offset value which you then change as nessecary (instead of Back.y).

Quote:
Original post by Sol Blast
I'm not familiar with that library so I can't be 100% on this, but I think I see your problem.

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

In short, your modification of x is undone each time you go to draw your background. Therefore you'll never see the change.
My advice would be to draw it against a stored offset value which you then change as nessecary (instead of Back.y).

Thank you!

I've understood your idea and now it works:

void DrawMap(void) {
short i, j;

Back.offset += 2;

for(j = 0; j < 4; j++) {
for(i = 0; i < 4; i++) { // I've added a new row to the matrix...
Back.x = j * Back.w;
Back.y = i * Back.h;
GRRLIB_DrawTile(Back.x, (Back.y + Back.offset) - Back.h, Back.w, Back.h, Back.texture, 0, 1, 1, 255, Back_map[i][j], 1); // ... because the -Back.h, to avoid a black row in the screen
if(Back.offset == Back.h) Back.offset = 0;
}
}
}

Thank you again!!

Greetings!

This topic is 3302 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.