Sign in to follow this  

University/college

This topic is 3292 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey Im grade 11 at a highschool, currently enrolled in a programming course- learning Java now, and a media arts course. I want to get into the programming stream to eventually become a developper. I have two possible schools to attend- University of Toronto for Computer science- or Vancouver Art institute which is a college. What route would any of you reccomend?

I dont really know which has a better CS course, if even VAI has a CS course I implied as it didnt, correct me if im wrong.

Call the schools, check there sites,brochures/papers,the classes you would be taking(curriculum is it called? my main language is spanish), etc.

Then you could ask here for more info on which is better by the classes you would be taking,etc.

For the game programming course if you can get it on the side and can afford it while you do your baschelor in CS id say its not bad or woudnt hurt, but focus on the CS degree, thats what gonna get you somewhere.

Ok, thanks for the responses. As I mentioned I am learning Java now in highschool, so which language would you recommend I learn on the side? Im thinking of trying out those XNA tutorials in Visual C#.

What do you all recommend?

Quote:
Im thinking of trying out those XNA tutorials in Visual C#.

Id say how proficient are you with Java? What have you done with it? If your just starting just stick with it, learn everything you can with it and apply it to other things,games,etc..

I dont reccomend learning other languages at the same time unless you know one pretty well already.

After you know one the others are simpler to learn, plus your taking Java, its best if you concentrate on that the best you can first.

Quote:
Original post by ryguyrocks
Ok, thanks for the responses. As I mentioned I am learning Java now in highschool, so which language would you recommend I learn on the side? Im thinking of trying out those XNA tutorials in Visual C#.

What do you all recommend?
Follow your passion.

If you want to try out the XNA tutorials in C#, then do it. Even if you decide that you don't like it, you will learn some valuable concepts.

My friend went to Vancouver to the Arts school and after four years hes been working as a programmer using C# for a company. However, I would strongly suggest getting a B.Sc (A Bachelor of Science) - for computer programming, it will take you a lot father then a "diploma" in video games.

Don't give up on JAVA though, a lot of companies can hire you to work on phone applications, such as games.

Quote:
Original post by 2DExtremeOwner
Quote:
Im thinking of trying out those XNA tutorials in Visual C#.

Id say how proficient are you with Java? What have you done with it? If your just starting just stick with it, learn everything you can with it and apply it to other things,games,etc..

I dont reccomend learning other languages at the same time unless you know one pretty well already.

After you know one the others are simpler to learn, plus your taking Java, its best if you concentrate on that the best you can first.

I actually disagree. I have known excellent java programmers that had a horrible time trying to learn c++, because they got into a lot more bad habits from programming java, and in some cases gave up and went back to programming java (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Of course I could be biased, my first programming language was assembly :p

This topic is 3292 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.