University/college

Started by
13 comments, last by MortusMaximus 15 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Im thinking of trying out those XNA tutorials in Visual C#.

Id say how proficient are you with Java? What have you done with it? If your just starting just stick with it, learn everything you can with it and apply it to other things,games,etc..

I dont reccomend learning other languages at the same time unless you know one pretty well already.

After you know one the others are simpler to learn, plus your taking Java, its best if you concentrate on that the best you can first.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by ryguyrocks
Ok, thanks for the responses. As I mentioned I am learning Java now in highschool, so which language would you recommend I learn on the side? Im thinking of trying out those XNA tutorials in Visual C#.

What do you all recommend?
Follow your passion.

If you want to try out the XNA tutorials in C#, then do it. Even if you decide that you don't like it, you will learn some valuable concepts.
Thanks for the replies, im going to stick with java now, until i learned it fully then go to c#
My friend went to Vancouver to the Arts school and after four years hes been working as a programmer using C# for a company. However, I would strongly suggest getting a B.Sc (A Bachelor of Science) - for computer programming, it will take you a lot father then a "diploma" in video games.

Don't give up on JAVA though, a lot of companies can hire you to work on phone applications, such as games.
Quote:Original post by 2DExtremeOwner
Quote:Im thinking of trying out those XNA tutorials in Visual C#.

Id say how proficient are you with Java? What have you done with it? If your just starting just stick with it, learn everything you can with it and apply it to other things,games,etc..

I dont reccomend learning other languages at the same time unless you know one pretty well already.

After you know one the others are simpler to learn, plus your taking Java, its best if you concentrate on that the best you can first.

I actually disagree. I have known excellent java programmers that had a horrible time trying to learn c++, because they got into a lot more bad habits from programming java, and in some cases gave up and went back to programming java (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Of course I could be biased, my first programming language was assembly :p
Check out the first gameplay video from my javascript/PHP RTS game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement