• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
surfi

Store vertex data from geometry shader

This topic is 3512 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm playing now with geometry shaders, and I run into a problem I don't know how to overcome. I have a geometry shader that generates geometry of variable size, that later I will use several times. Actually, what I do is calculate the depth texture for the object (shadow mapping), and then finally paint it. However, what I'm doing now is recalculate the geoemtry on every pass, since I don't know how to buffer the data for later use. I've searched a little around and I think there is a concept in HLSL called Stream-Out that resembles what I want to achieve, but I don't know if this is feasible in GLSL. The point is, there is some way to optimize this behaviour, since the calculations of the geometry shader are quite intensive? Thanks!

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!