Sign in to follow this  

ID3DX10Font cuts italic font glyphs/characters internally (bug?)

This topic is 3297 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

D3DX10: My ID3DX10Font object (or whatever this is) cuts the characters internally (the internal created textures for the characters) when italic is used. I checked the textures also with PIX. REF shows the same results. "Cut" means that they look like only the area of non italic glyphs/characters get copied to the texture instead of the area of the italic glyphs/characters. They look like they get clipped wrong, but DT_NOCLIP shouldn't be the problem at this stage, since it is not drawn anywhere. The D3D9 sample Text3D and its D3D9 Text implementations showed a similar behaviour with some fonts(e.g. "System"), but the most (Arial,...) worked well. Note: This has nothing to do with DrawText,DT_NOCLIP, or something like this, since it is already in an earlier stage. It can be reproduced with preload functions or drawtext calls. I also tried different font settings, without any luck. Also copied appropriate settings of the D3D9 Text3D sample, without luck. For those that do not know how ID3DX10Font works: It creates textures and copies the glyph/font/character data from GDI (or so) into a part of the texture. If the texture is full, a new texture gets created. Additional it saves all information about positioning of the glyphs/characters (which are in the texture) seperately. You can access the texture views and the infos with getglyphdata or so. Is this a bug, or... no... this can't be a feature... Maybe it is only a problem in my app, but if so, why? Once again: THIS does not depend on DrawText or DT_NOCLIP! Thx, Vertex

I think this is a bug in GDI itself. I've observed exactly the same behavior with italic and bold fonts on the standard winform controls (particularly the treeview). So, I don't think GDI is calculating the size of italic/bold fonts correctly and so D3DX is getting confused by that as well. I filed a bug report on this and they said they would fix it in some future version...

Quote:
Original post by andur
I think this is a bug in GDI itself. I've observed exactly the same behavior with italic and bold fonts on the standard winform controls (particularly the treeview). So, I don't think GDI is calculating the size of italic/bold fonts correctly and so D3DX is getting confused by that as well. I filed a bug report on this and they said they would fix it in some future version...
I can't really believe that this is a GDI problem... since it should be working if you use the GDI functions manually to draw the glyphs (although I didn't try it so far)... maybe d3dx does font stuff below GDI or manually? MS should have the code anyway... In addition ID3DXFont (D3D9) seems to work "better" with italic characters... and I can't believe that no one ever tested italic fonts with ID3DX10Font...

This topic is 3297 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.