Sign in to follow this  

Is there anyone who use Cg to do image processing?

This topic is 3298 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi,all: I want use GPU to do image processing ,such as image histogram equalization,calculate the average of image pixels. I don't known exactly about the Render-to-Texture, all multi-pass technique, Can anyone help me ?? Best wishes. ---zzs2623

If your GPU supports it, look into using CUDA instead. The programming model's a lot nicer than Cg's for non-3d-rendering stuff, even for image manipulation.

Thanks for your reply. But I'm confusing .
I building the framework using cg to realize image processing ,it based on OpenGL under the VC Platform, I can do some algorithms like Gaussian Filter.
Now I want to adjust the contrast of the image,so I need compute the average and standard deviation of the image. whether the calculation can be done in the GPU interior? or any other way to solve the problem?
At the begin, I calculate the parameter use the CPU, and then transfer it to GPU as the Uniform Parameter .It can do the contrast adjust. However ,I think the GPU is do little work in the program. Any other solutions??
---zzs2623
2008-12-4

Calculating the average of an image using shaders is usually done by successive downsampling. This is because with pixel shaders you need to be careful with how many samples from a texture you take in per pixel, at least if performance is an issue. Typically you might take 4, 9, or 16 samples.

So for example if you were taking 16 samples, you would render to a render target texture whose width and height were both 1/4 of your original source image. A 1024x1024 source image would result in a 256x256 image after the first pass. Then for each pixel in the destination image, you would calculate the mean of a 4x4 block of texels in the source image and then output this average. In shader code it looks a little like this:

static const float g_vOffsets[4] = {-1.5f, -0.5f, 0.5f, 1.5f};

float4 DownscalePS ( in float2 in_vTexCoord : TEXCOORD0) : COLOR0
{
float4 vColor = 0;
for (int x = 0; x < 4; x++)
{
for (int y = 0; y < 4; y++)
{
float2 vOffset = float2(g_vOffsets[x], g_vOffsets[y]) / g_vSourceDimensions;
float4 vSample = tex2D(PointSampler0, in_vTexCoord + vOffset);
vColor += vSample;
}
}

return vColor / 16;
}

Then you would downscale the 256x256 image to 64x64, then 16x16, then 4x4, until eventually you have a 1x1 texture. The singular texel in this image would contain the mean. You could then use sample this texture in your contrast adjustment shader, and you would never need the data to leave the GPU.

Thanks for your help.
You give me a good idea to solve this type problem, I'll try in my project.

I think this way need many fragment shaders, can send results to another shader or not? I want take this results as the next fragment shader's input.
---zzs2623

In Cg tutorial,the chapter of two_texture_acsesses introduce the parameter transfer from the vertex shader to the pixel shader, but I'm not sure for the parameter from pixel shader to another shader , Could you give me a example code. I'm really appreciate for your help. Thanks.
---zzs2623

I don't known exactly about the take the result of prevoius shader as the input of the next shader,like binding the texture and setting the buffer,FBO swap and so on. Could you give me a example program like image contrast enhancement? I want known the Procedure about the image enhancement use GPU.
My email address is :zzs2623@yahoo.com.cn
Thank you!
---zzs2623

This topic is 3298 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.