Sign in to follow this  

software renderer

This topic is 3299 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, got a bit of free time (not much) so decided I'd have a go at writing a basic software renderer, not planning on taking it very far, aslong as I can rasterise and light some tris, and have them spinning / moving around then i'll be happy. I am happy with all the math/theory (with the exception of perspective correct textures, but ill cross that bridge when i come to it ), just wondered what your thoughts are with regard to drawing my stuff onto a screen. It would appear that GDI's SetPixel is a bit slow. I understand some people just lock bitmap data and then adjust the memory manually, any examples of this? Or the other alternative im considering is SDL. Like I said I dont intend to put more than about 10 hours into this, just a little learning excerise Cheers

PixelToaster is a nice library for software rendering. It is easy to use and has built in utility functions for input handling and timing. A minimal example:
Display display( "Example", 320, 240 );
vector<Pixel> pixels( 320 * 240 );
while ( display.open() )
{
render( pixels ); // your render function
display.update( pixels );
}

Quote:
Original post by Kambiz
PixelToaster is a nice library for software rendering. It is easy to use and has built in utility functions for input handling and timing.
Thanks for that - looks very handy for prototyping image algorithms.

This topic is 3299 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.