Sign in to follow this  

[java] JOGL menu issue.

This topic is 3283 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am unable to layer swing menus, objects, over my JOGL canvas. I came up with a sort of intermediate solution that is called by any event listener that handles a non-openGL call. Basically it replaces the openGL canvas with a jPanel with a picture of the openGL canvas, and despite the stupidity it works pretty well except for a slight flicker as the picture will contain the previous image before it was updated for a second before updating. My question is this: Is there a better way to handle this? if not, is there a way to get into the rendering function to get Java to paint the image onto the Panel BEFORE it shows it to prevent the flicker? I've tried various permuations of paintComponent, etc, but I can't seem to find where I can modify the paint order in order to get this to work.

the issue that you're having probably comes from mixng heavy and light-weight components

since swing components are lightweight and the jogl canvas is heavy(afaik).

you could try:

using all heavyweight (awt) components
pausing your app and prevent a re-draw of the jogl canvas until your app is unpaused
develop an opengl gui (or find a library that already does)

I briefly scanned the links provided and didn't see this mentioned, but JOGL already provides the GLJPanel class for compatibility with Swing applications. While this is the solution I ended up using for the software I work on, be warned that this class is one of the crankiest classes I've dealt with. Good luck!

Quote:
Original post by tool_2046
I briefly scanned the links provided and didn't see this mentioned, but JOGL already provides the GLJPanel class for compatibility with Swing applications. While this is the solution I ended up using for the software I work on, be warned that this class is one of the crankiest classes I've dealt with. Good luck!

thanks tool, your help was most appreciated!~

This topic is 3283 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.