old story : direct show

Started by
4 comments, last by fatima 15 years, 4 months ago
1 - how we can play video in directx applications? yes,we need direct show.but is there a better way? may be a free lib. 2 - is it possible to find all headers , dlls ,... of direct show in one package? windows platform sdk is too large to download.
Advertisement
A lot of people are using bink by Rad Game Tools. http://www.radgametools.com/ I doubt it's free, but it's small.
Quote:Original post by fatima
1 - how we can play video in directx applications?
yes,we need direct show.but is there a better way? may be a free lib.
2 - is it possible to find all headers , dlls ,... of direct show in one package?
windows platform sdk is too large to download.
1. There's Video For Windows, but if you're using DirectX, you might as well use DirectShow.
2. Nope. It's part of the platform SDK. It's like asking if you can download just the GUI stuff without anything else; it's all part of one package. I believe you can order the platform SDK on CD/DVD from Microsoft for just the postage and packing cost, but I'm not sure where exactly.
hmm,ok and thank you.
bink is a great product but as far as I know the source video needs to be compressed with their tool so it can be played back, so it is not good for dynamic content, and it is not free.

If you are looking to play dynamic content then you will need to use directshow. It's a nice walk to get it working, although there are some simple tutorials that come with the windows sdk that show how to display video on a cube.

If you want to be able to play a resource from memory then that's an even longer walk. Keep in mind that there are a non-negligible number of video cards that require textures to be power of two dimensions, and movies are typically something like 320x240, so if you want guaranteed compatibility you need to resample or letterbox your vidoes to be power of two. I have done all of this and it was not all that pleasant...

hope that helps...
My Apps:Putt Nutz
my problem is windows sdk,i can't find it in our city.my connection speed is too low and i can't download any thing.i have found directx sdk and learned it,but for directshow...
it isn't important,i will learn game programming.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement