win32 development in a linux environment

Started by
4 comments, last by hughiecoles 15 years, 4 months ago
I was wondering how well Wine would support MSVS, and/or win32 app development? the reason i ask is because i really enjoy using linux, but i don't really feel the need to expand into linux development(there are enough things on my plate at the moment). that being said, i spend most of my free time programming, and would like to be able to compile and run any win32 apps i'm working on while in linux has anyone tried this/read anything about it? thanks
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Advertisement
according to Wine's Applications Database Visual Studio 2008 doesn't work.

hope that helps
Quote:Original post by godsenddeath
I was wondering how well Wine would support MSVS, and/or win32 app development? the reason i ask is because i really enjoy using linux, but i don't really feel the need to expand into linux development(there are enough things on my plate at the moment). that being said, i spend most of my free time programming, and would like to be able to compile and run any win32 apps i'm working on while in linux
I attempted do the same thing on a Mac, using a MinGW cross-compiler, and CrossOver Office (a comercial branch of WINE). In general, I found that WINE's 3D graphics support was not mature enough to be useful for game development, and debugging was a complete pain.

In the end, I switched to running Visual Studio Express in a stripped-down version of Windows XP emulated under VMWare. The performance isn't exactly stellar, but it gets the job done, and I have the same disk image hooked up for dual boot if I need to test things directly.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Quote:Original post by swiftcoder
Quote:Original post by godsenddeath
I was wondering how well Wine would support MSVS, and/or win32 app development? the reason i ask is because i really enjoy using linux, but i don't really feel the need to expand into linux development(there are enough things on my plate at the moment). that being said, i spend most of my free time programming, and would like to be able to compile and run any win32 apps i'm working on while in linux
I attempted do the same thing on a Mac, using a MinGW cross-compiler, and CrossOver Office (a comercial branch of WINE). In general, I found that WINE's 3D graphics support was not mature enough to be useful for game development, and debugging was a complete pain.

In the end, I switched to running Visual Studio Express in a stripped-down version of Windows XP emulated under VMWare. The performance isn't exactly stellar, but it gets the job done, and I have the same disk image hooked up for dual boot if I need to test things directly.

I will look at some emulators and try that, I figured that game dev would be damn near impossible in that situation, thats why I would be happy just to be able to do some win32 stuff while in linux

thanks for the help guys
--------------------------------------Not All Martyrs See Divinity, But At Least You Tried
Yeah, I'm doing this the other way around (linux development in windows), but you can do the exact same thing to get it to work nicely. I just use virtualbox to install linux into a VM, which has the nice feature of being able to share folders between the guest and host OS's.

I work in visual C++, so I basically use that to do all the coding and project stuff. I then use a custom little app i knocked up in C# that uses the Microsoft.VisualStudio.VCProjectEngine classes to get information about the projects, build settings etc; which i then use to output gcc makefiles. I use the seamless mode in virtualbox to merge both OS's, so i have the linux terminal next to visual C++ which i just point at the relevent makefiles and I'm done.

1. install windows into virtualbox
2. install virtualbox additions into the windows guest
3. setup a shared folder
4. install VC++ into windows.
5. setup a VC project, or hack together a Win32 makefile
6. build and debug in windows (using the src in your linux folders...)

3D performance leaves a lot to be desired, since you're more or less limited to software. It works, but there aren't any extensions or fun shader capabilities available. I do have a dual boot with linux to test any GL related stuff (eg shaders etc), but it's very rare that i need to switch OS's...
Thanks for mentioning VirtualBox, it seems like a very promising Emulator.

I was looking at the source, I would have figured since it's a sun product, that it would be done in Java, apperently not

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement