Sign in to follow this  

Sprite Questions

This topic is 3299 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

So, I'm about to start some preliminary work on my next game. My next game is going to have motion in it. I haven't decided whether to create my own or get some sprites off the internet. In the course of looking for sprites, however, I noticed something interesting. The sprite sets that are available for download, I noticed that for motion sprites, especially characters or objects that move left or right, there is only one set that is facing one direction. For example if there is a set of images of a character moving left there is none for right. Are the pixels flipped inside the source code somehow? Also, I noticed that some are animated .gif files. I did a brief search and found out that using .gif is proprietary. How then are these gif sprites used? The only way I noticed is opening up the file in a program like Adobe Imageready and taking the separate sprites. Thanks in advance for answers.

I'm not a sprite wizard, but I try to help you out.

The memory consumption of animated sprites is quite high, so most people try to reduce memory usage by reusing sprites. One simple way is to mirror the sprites along the y-axis (this is done while rendering the sprite).

An other way is to build up your final sprite from different smaller sprite parts. I.e. render first the body, than the head and at last a weapon.

Sprites are most often saved as images. Your sprite engine will only support a certain set of images formats, so it will be necessary to convert between different images formats. There are several images programms available, i.e. photoshop (costs $) or gimp(free). I would suguest you to use gimp, it is free (www.gimp.org) and very feature rich.

--
Ashaman

This topic is 3299 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.