Renderware Game Engine

Started by
0 comments, last by stimarco 15 years, 4 months ago
Not sure if this is the right forum, but does anyone know where can I get the renderware game engine by criterion. Now I know that it is no longer available for purchase, having being brought out by EA. But I have laid my hands on some source code to a game that uses RW as the game engine. Thus it uses a few include files like rwcore.h etc which unfortunately didn't come with the code. If I could get this engine I could get the source code to compile. Any help will be welcome.
Advertisement

The legal answer is probably: "No. And step away from that source code too, while you're at it."

There were a few versions of Renderware produced, only the third of which had any real commercial success. Versions 1 and 2 are incompatible with each other, as well as with the more popular 3rd release.

Renderware v2.x saw a much smaller measure of success for some 'virtual world' applications, but it never really caught on commercially. It bears almost no similarity whatsoever to the later version. RW 2.x used a custom scripting language, if memory serves. Even the file formats are different. (I know even less about RW 1.x and I don't think it was ever used much in the wild.)

Renderware 3.x was the one which saw all the attention. It went through a few point updates and got as far as 3.7 or so. I understand that RW 4.x was either just released, or on the cusp of release, when EA came along and did their "My! What big IP you have, grandmama!" routine.

Incidentally, Criterion saw no pressing reason to make even the point updates backwards compatible as the notion of maintaining a game long after its release was still unusual at the time. Therefore, a game written with the RW 3.1 SDK would not be guaranteed to build with the RW 3.4 SDK. So that'll make your quest even harder.

RW 3 was a totally unexpected success for Criterion. They'd been bumbling along quite happily with a tiny handful of clients for years. However, EA bought them out because the "Burnout" series was an even greater success and Renderware was effectively euthanised.

Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement