Sign in to follow this  

[.net] WPF data binding without existing types with properties

This topic is 3279 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I need to allow users to edit data via a DataGrid. The type of data shown in that DataGrid varies; users can add, remove, and edit the fields on the database externally. Currently I'm working out the type of each column and using the TypeBuilder to create a new type at runtime with all the requisite properties in place. I then use reflection to populate each instance with the correct values before displaying them in the DataGrid. Is there a better way of doing this?

You can use a property indexed by a string:

class DataTypeWrapper
{
public object this[string name]
{
get
{
//return the value for property "name" from the database
}
}
}

You can databind to the indexer in xaml:

<TextBlock Text="{Binding DataTypeWrapper[Baz]}"/>

Quote:
Original post by benryves
Whoops, I tried that but didn't include the type name (so just {Binding [Baz]}). Thanks again!

It's not that you need the type name per-se - you just need a property to get to the indexer. In my code i'm assuming your data context is something with a property named "DataTypeWrapper"

I can't get it to work, I'm afraid. I'm trying this:

this.dataGrid.Columns.Add(new DataGridTextColumn() {
Binding = new Binding("[some_key]"),
});

The Binding constructor throws an exception: "Invalid Binding Path; character [ in [some_key]".

Edit: Same happens with this:

var TempColumn = @"<data:DataGridTextColumn xmlns='http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation' xmlns:data='clr-namespace:System.Windows.Controls;assembly=System.Windows.Controls.Data' Header=""???"" Binding=""{Binding [some_key]}"" />";
this.dataGrid.Columns.Add((DataGridTextColumn)XamlReader.Load(TempColumn));

Could it be that this is something that doesn't work in Silverlight (but does in regular WPF?)

[Edited by - benryves on December 19, 2008 7:03:55 AM]

This topic is 3279 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.