• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
hiS_oWn

OpenGL Can anyone recommend me a good openGL/game dev book?

This topic is 3630 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working on various projects that require openGL and would like to know if there are any good resources I can draw upon? The questions I seem to be asking on this forum seem to be rather trivial, and I feel, were I to spend the time to read a good instructional book, it would save all of us a bit of valuable time.

Advertisement
A good place to start is with the OpenGL reference and programmers guides. You can find good links to other books as well here

I would recommend Beginning OpenGL Game Programming, which I think is a very good introduction to OpenGL. You can read some reviews from other GameDev members here, along with some additional info.

The single best book for OpenGL is the "OpenGL SuperBible".

The single best book for OpenGL shaders (GLSL shaders) is "OpenGL Shading Language".

The best super-concise quick-reference is "OpenGL Distilled".

A somewhat more advanced non-reference book based on OpenGL is "Advanced Graphics Using OpenGL".

For more advanced topics (not OpenGL specific), "Real Time Rendering" is excellent, but several others are pretty good too.

Or so it seemed to me (I reviewed about 20 OpenGL books).

More openGL Programming,

but sometimes vary useful information can be found in books not connected with the openGL, like in DX books, or books on graphics programming in general.

as iceware wrote, "Real Time Rendering" is very good,

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!