• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
pavel989

OpenGL Where can i get openGL 3.0?

This topic is 3605 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

seriously, ive been googling for a while, this doesn't make sense to me. Where can I get (or where are) the OpenGL 3.0 headers and stuff? can i get them without GLUT? And why doesn't opengl.org have a download for it?

Advertisement
opengl.org doesn't have it, because it's not OpenGL's responsibility to provide implementations for particular platforms. OpenGL is just a document describing an interface. For any platform, the manufacturer of that platform is responsible to provide an implementation for this interface for their particular platform. For Windows, download the latest drivers for your graphics card, since they provide the implementation for your graphics card. It may not be 3.0, and if it isn't, you're not getting it, basically.

For headers, you can look at the Documentation and the Extension registry menu option at opengl.org. Download glext.h for definitions for all versions and extensions. For loading functions missing functions, check the forum FAQ.

I think should rather ask (let me preface that my theory on this is that it doesn't matter, just depends on the driver and card, but...) does the version of opengl a developer uses impact efficiency?

like, would using opengl 2.0 improve quality and speed over opengl 1.1? or is that only dependent on the driver?

I have some silicon graphics opengl installed, but it seems to be opengl 1.1, and i have some other opengl installed, i dont remember from where, its in the server framework for windows, and im not sure which my applications would benefit more from using.

The speed of hardware accelerated opengl implementation depends on the driver/card. Newer OpenGl features are exposed by extensions, when enough extensions have been developed after a release, they get rolled into a new version and become standard (more or less). 1.1 will provide (for sure) certain abilities, 2.0 more so, 2.1 more, etc. 3.0 is the newest, support directx 10 level features (geometry shaders, etc). GLee or GLew check for extension availability and let you query support for a certain feature. For instance, if the card isnt a newer directx 10 card, you wont have all the features of opengl 3.0 supported. Look for a program called OpenGL Extension Viewer, its an app that can give you a better idea of what your card can do. Again 3.0 is newer, and a lot of the drivers are still beta.

well i checked out the extensions viewer. seems i have about half of 3.0.

so now, the way i understand it, i can only access these extensions through specific packages?

Opengl use extensions which can be accessed through pointers. their is helper libraries that help in the process. The opengl document's the extensions and should be used as a guide for defining the pointer. it pretty detialed so no problem there.

your cards driver is who supply the implementation which needs to be linked at run time

oh wow, this all makes sense now. Except about the linking. A while ago, i set up my dir's in VC++E and ive been linking to GL.h but i have no idea which actual header it is. as in, idk where i got it from

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!