Sign in to follow this  

AllegroGL/OpenGL app only runs on computer where it was built!

This topic is 3291 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I have a really strange problem (which probably is a newbie problem)! Me and my friend are working on a network game using OpenGL and AllegroGL. It can be run in server mode or client mode with the same exe-file, by specifying a command line parameter. The server works fine on any machine we've tried it on, but the client mode ONLY WORKS on the computer where the exe was compiled and built! What happens on other computers is that the game window opens, never updates and then the program quickly eats up all the RAM on the computer. There is no exception thrown or anything else. What is so strange is that if we take the EXACT same source files and build the game on the second computer (where we couldn't run the client), then the newly built client will run without problems! The problem is also completely symmetric, that is what is compiled on one machine will not run on another. How can this be? Since the server runs smoothly on either computer, and the only difference between the server mode and the client mode is that we do not initialize OpenGL and AllegroGL in the server, my guess is that it has something to do with these libraries. We have tried to link both statically and dynamically but we have not found a solution! I'm using MinGW C++ and DevCpp. My computers are all WinXP. So far we have tried the program on three different machines with the following specs, as far as I can remember them: AMD Athlon64 X2 ATI Radeon X1300... 2 GB RAM Intel Centrino Duo ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 2GB RAM (my friend's laptop) Intel Pentium 4...(single core) ...might be Nvidia 1 Gb RAM I don't get an error message which implies that the dll's are there. The strange thing is that the program does work on all three computers IF it was compiled on that computer! I am sure that there is an obvious solution to this problem, but I'm lost!! :) Grateful for any help!

Welcome to the board.

My first thought here would be that you don't have the required DLLs, but after reading all the posts, that doesn't seem to be the problem, because you'd get an error message and the program wouldn't run at all.

Are your paths set up properly? Are you trying to load certain files directly off a hard coded path?

For instance, if you have a texture folder,

C:\App\Textures
You should be using LoadBitmap("Textures/MyTexture.bmp"), and not LoadBitmap("C:/App/Textures/MyTexture.bmp").

If not, post your startup code. Your beginner mistake is not giving us any relevant information, and blaming the libraries!

Quote:
I'm using MinGW C++ and DevCpp.
Stop torturing yourself! DevCpp is a dead, buggy, mess.
http://www.microsoft.com/express/product/default.aspx

Hmm that is a strange problem. I had a similar problem with my SDL game. It runed on my computer fine, because i build it on it but it didn't run on other computers. The problam was this:
When i build the programm (using Visual C++) I chosed build in the compiling options. But there was a another one. It was Relese. So I compiled it with Relese option on and it worked on other PCs. I don't think Dev C++ has this but well I posted this because it was similar to my problem.

Hope this helps.

RedReaper: That sounds like something useful! If Devcpp is such dead mess as Daark says, perhaps we should use another IDE and hope that the problem vanishes. I was thinking about using Eclipse, as I konw it quite well from Java. Is this something you would recommend?

This topic is 3291 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.