Custom Web App 3D Viewer

Started by
3 comments, last by maximAL 15 years, 4 months ago
I already have a 3d viewer application(exe) and I want to convert it to run in a web-browser, is that possible? How do companys like Virtools get 3D viewers running in web browsers?
Advertisement
It looks like Virtools specifically uses a browser plugin that users must download and install. Depending on what your application does exactly, there may be something already out there that will accomplish the same goal without you having to write you own. Eg. I remember back in the day there was vrml, a markup language for defining 3d scenes and a few browser plugins for it.
I'm really looking to write/convert my own. Anyone know where to get started
on this.. how to get the connect between a IE/Firefox panel handle and my
exe/dlls.
not sure what APIs you're using, but if it's windows and directx, try googling for "activex directx." one reasonably good thread is actually here on gamedev: clicky. FWIW i haven't actually implemented this, but it seems like it should do the trick.
java would be an option, as you easily can write an applet using openGL (via jogl).
if openGL is too low-level java3D might be an alternative, as it provides a rather high-level scene-graph renderer (but unfortunately it also requires the user to install java3D besided the mere jre).
------------------------------------------------------------Jawohl, Herr Oberst!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement