A comlete beginner

Started by
3 comments, last by vikashparida 15 years, 4 months ago
Hi! I'm new to GD and new to the whole game developing area, considering the fact i have no 1dea where to begin. I am a student of 16 preparing for IIT JEE, so i really do not have much time to spare for classes of programming languages and modelling software. Being really interested in it( I want to take it up as an occupation), I have begun with C++ though i don't know much. It would be really great if you veterans could direct me how i should proceed and what tutorials, books, software etc i should use to learn. Thanks
Advertisement
So you can't program at all except for a little C++? That is not good. C++ is an hard language to learn as a beginner (I should know). I would recomend learning to use a language called Python first. The general concepts of programming are the same. Python is just less mind boggoling and has easier syntax. Once your good with Python you chould then move on to C++ and it would be a smoother transition.

Python.org is the site where you can download the language and quite a few good books and tutorials. ( I recomend byte_of_python. That is what I used to learn.)

After learning python you could learn to use PyGame (pygame.org) which is a graphics library meant for making games.

Make a few sample games then, after all this you would have a good grasp of the basics of how a game works and is built.

Then you could go into C++ java or whatever and have a pretty easy transition.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Exercise, eat right and be the best you can be!Translation: Play video games for finger streangth and eat lots of hot pockets to be at top programming efficiency.
Quote:Original post by steveworks
So you can't program at all except for a little C++? That is not good. C++ is an hard language to learn as a beginner (I should know). I would recomend learning to use a language called Python first. The general concepts of programming are the same. Python is just less mind boggoling and has easier syntax. Once your good with Python you chould then move on to C++ and it would be a smoother transition.

Python.org is the site where you can download the language and quite a few good books and tutorials. ( I recomend byte_of_python. That is what I used to learn.)

After learning python you could learn to use PyGame (pygame.org) which is a graphics library meant for making games.

Make a few sample games then, after all this you would have a good grasp of the basics of how a game works and is built.

Then you could go into C++ java or whatever and have a pretty easy transition.

Thanks for the input!
A question though, byte_of_python refers to the book 'A Byte of Python' or a guide/ tutorial ?
actually it is a book. On python.org the author posts it for free for anyone who wants to learn python. If you want a bound book it's gonna cost you $12-$20 on amazon.com.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Exercise, eat right and be the best you can be!Translation: Play video games for finger streangth and eat lots of hot pockets to be at top programming efficiency.
I would suggest you to try getting a hold of C++ along the way also. You will most likely have a course or two on it in your first/second semester in college.

Oh, and if you get through in JEE, you will find a lot of time for game programming in college :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement