• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

__declspec(property) support in GCC 4.x or C++0x?

This topic is 3365 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I know this is a Microsoft specific extension, but I've seen a few cross-platform C++ compilers that support, mainly only the comeau C++ compiler. Does anybody know though if any plugin for GCC or extension provides the __declspec(property) feature? I use Visual Studio as my main compiler but I'm building a cross-platform library that I'd like to use the feature in. And no, I'd rather not resort to designing a custom Property class.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by soconne
Does anybody know though if any plugin for GCC or extension provides the __declspec(property) feature?

No released version of GCC supports plugins.

No C++ standard (89, 03, 09) supports the concept of properties.

A proposal was recently made to the ISO committee to introduce such a metafacility to the language, but since it was not proposed in time to be accepted into the new standard (released last October) you will need to rely on vendor-specific extensions.

GCC does have the __attribute__((...)) extension, which in many cases performs the same purpose as Microsoft's __declspec(...) extension. I'm not sure exactly what __declspec(property) does, so I can't tell you the gcc equivalent.

Quote:
Original post by Bregma
GCC does have the __attribute__((...)) extension, which in many cases performs the same purpose as Microsoft's __declspec(...) extension. I'm not sure exactly what __declspec(property) does, so I can't tell you the gcc equivalent.

It's normally used for exporting/importing DLL funcs. This is largely moot under gcc since you have the -shared flag. It's other uses are primarily for things like memory alignement etc, which you're correct in thinking maps to __attribute__ in gcc

Quote:
Original post by Bregma
I'm not sure exactly what __declspec(property) does, so I can't tell you the gcc equivalent.

Its used for creating class properties.

class Test
{
public:
int getvalue() const { return m_value; }
void putvalue(int v) { m_value = v; }

__declspec(property(get=getvalue, put=putvalue)) int value;

private:
int m_value;
};

void main()
{
Test t;
t.value = 10; // executes Test::putvalue method
printf("%i\n", t.value); // executes Test::getvalue method
}

Quote:
Original post by soconne
Quote:
Original post by Bregma
I'm not sure exactly what __declspec(property) does, so I can't tell you the gcc equivalent.

Its used for creating class properties.

*** Source Snippet Removed ***

They are pointless an compiler specific, what is wrong with following?

class Test
{
public:
int& value() const { return m_value; }
void value(int const& v) { m_value = v; }
private:
int m_value;
};

int main()
{
Test t;
t.value(10); // executes Test::putvalue method
printf("%i\n", t.value()); // executes Test::getvalue method
}

I know this is just example code but if it were not then I would be asking question about it. Such as the need for a function when they do not preform any validation and are not part of a hierarchy which could preform different operations. In this case the following is good enough

class Test
{
public
int value;
};

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement