Sign in to follow this  

best free windows complier (c++)

This topic is 3295 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Quote:
Original post by Daaark
Microsoft Visual C++ Express 2008. It also comes with a free version of the best IDE.

http://www.microsoft.com/express/

Yup I still remember the days when Microsoft charged at least several hundred dollars for the priviledge of using this!!!
Thanks to other excellent free C++ compilers like GCC Microsoft is now giving it away!
Sun studio, Borland Turbo C++ and Eclipse are other options you might want to look at.

Just do everyone a favor and don't use some out of date compiler i.e VC++ 6.0 or one like Dev C++ that hasn't been updated for years and expect someone to be able to help you when you run into problems-LOL!

[Edited by - daviangel on December 6, 2008 4:50:15 PM]

If for whatever reason you don't like express, Dev C++ is still a great option.

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

I would still go with VS 2008, much better user interface. Not to mention intellisense.

Quote:
Original post by MrCpaw
That's not true. Dev-C++, even in it's heyday, was NEVER a great option. It was simply the only free option, and it was buggy and limited. There's no end to the trouble that thing used to cause me, simply from constantly corrupting it's own memory repeatedly. Unfortunately, there is still way too many old tutorials that recommend using it that survive to this day.

If the free MS IDE is too much for your machine, do what I did before I upgraded. Use the compiler that comes included with it, but call it from the free code::blocks IDE, which is many times better than the old Dev-C++, but still not up to VS Express.

Quote:

A lot of people still caution against this. Another option is Code::Blocks.

Code::Blocks is aesthetically similar to DevC++ and I've had no headaches whatsoever using it. It is still being developed (the last nightly build was I think nov 26).

I normally would use MSVC++, but CodeBlocks works on Linux which is what I primarily write code on and only rebuild the same code under Windows to have a windows distribution if needed.

Edit: OOps. You just wrote you used CB and didn't like it so disregard my post. I think you will like 2008 express.

Ya I'm a student, but I'm in 9th grade and have been Learning c++ for a long while, I know stuff. It isnt that i didnt like code::blocks, i just thought there might be something better out there. BTW in the time I've been workig with c++ I made a MUD by my self, so that says somthing about my skills i guess. I'm just now going to learn directx. (ordered a book and I hope it gets here soon). I picked up c++ from my brother so he helped teach me. Thanks for the info on compliers/idles, I got vc++ up and runnig its great, Think I'll start 3d programing soon as i finish this 3d math book i got here. wish me luck.

Quote:
Original post by dmatter
Of course, if you're a student, you may as well go for Visual Studio 2008 Professional, either through that link or using your Academic Alliance account (if your University has registered you).

I'm a student and I'm interested to test it, but that Firefox is throwing an invalid security certificate error at me. What's the deal?

Uhh... he asked for the best compiler and you all said MSVC, which is, yes, a compiler, but then Eclipse, C::B, and DevC++, none of which are compilers. They do all, however, prefer something that IS a compiler, g++. Which is free and my compiler of choice.

Mostly because I don't like working in MSVC (to bloated, yet hard to do some things which should be incredibly easy, but they want me to LEARN how to make MSVC convenient, thus eradicating the convenience! But, then again, most good IDEs are a little like that.), but also because I couldn't get anything I wrote to work on other people's computers, even after fallowing all the steps to make it work.

But, I suggest using at least two compilers simultaneously. It'll make sure your code is portable and sometimes give you different, helpful, opinions on errors.

Although, if you want to use g++, you actually want mingw. (google it)

Quote:
Original post by Splinter of Chaos
Mostly because I don't like working in MSVC (to bloated, yet hard to do some things which should be incredibly easy, but they want me to LEARN how to make MSVC convenient, thus eradicating the convenience!
Explain the bloatations, and things that can't easily be done.

Quote:

Mostly because I don't like working in MSVC (to bloated, yet hard to do some things which should be incredibly easy, but they want me to LEARN how to make MSVC convenient, thus eradicating the convenience! But, then again, most good IDEs are a little like that.),

I too would like to know what you think is bloated about, or difficult to do with, the compiler -- especially since you went to such pains to force the disambiguation between the compiler (cl.exe) and the IDE, but then seem to make the same conflation yourself vis-a-vis your "most good IDEs..." comment. So... huh?

Whenever I see people writing bad things about MSVC it's always only accusations and nothing of substance which makes me believe they think VC6 still is king.

So I too would like to know what's wrong with MSVC 2008 =)

Quote:
Original post by MrCpaw
I would have to disagree. Dev-C++ is outdated and hasn't been maintained for quite a long time, and to be honest it would probably be a great service to beginners if it were no longer available. If for whatever reason you don't want to use Microsoft's Express Edition IDE and compiler then Code::Blocks would be the sensible choice for an alternative, not Dev-C++.

If you're after the best free compiler/IDE for Windows you want the MS VC++ Express Edition (linked in the first reply) though.

Note also that as already mentioned the majority of the discussion has been about IDEs, or Integrated Development Environments (which typically include a compiler amongst other things) rather than compilers - I suspect that this is in fact what you wanted, but at some stage you should probably read up on what the difference is.

Pzc wrote: So I too would like to know what's wrong with MSVC 2008 =)

For one thing, the infamous
“This application has failed to start because MSVCR80.dll was not found” error
(applies to VC++'05 AND '08). It is explained here:
http://theharbourfamily.com/jonathan/?p=185

Point is they could've at least set the “Use FAT32 work-around” property to Yes.

That is one reason of what's wrong with MSVC 2008.

Quote:
Original post by asdqwe
For one thing, the infamous
“This application has failed to start because MSVCR80.dll was not found” error
(applies to VC++'05 AND '08). It is explained here:
http://theharbourfamily.com/jonathan/?p=185

Point is they could've at least set the “Use FAT32 work-around” property to Yes.

The "Use FAT32 work-around" option introduces a 2 second delay in the mt.exe tool (to work around the 2 second update latency of FAT32). By setting "Use FAT32 work-around" to true by default, everyone who uses NTFS for development (which should be 99% of people) would have to live with this 2 second just for the 1% of people who like to be different. More information

I can't believe one little option like this is enough to justify not using it at all. After all, you can just set the option yourself if you're building on a FAT32 drive.

Quote:
Original post by c4c0d3m0n
I'm a student and I'm interested to test it, but that Firefox is throwing an invalid security certificate error at me. What's the deal?

Works for me in Firefox 3. If it doesn't work for you, just take the https out, http works as well.

Quote:
Original post by Codeka
Quote:
Original post by c4c0d3m0n

Works for me in Firefox 3. If it doesn't work for you, just take the https out, http works as well.

When I take out the https, it redirects me to the https, so that didn't really help. I am also using Firefox 3...

I've tried Dev C++ for some time, but i got into trouble really fast. When you start, it looks really nice, until you try to compile something. I find that the compiler-errors are very obscure. Moreover, it's a total pain to get it working on vista. :-/

At that time, i tried to find help, but the DevC++ sourceforge forum was really crappy (bad navigation). I see that the forum is improved now. :)

I only listed Dev C++ because it's worked for me for all my programs. I find it funny how people will give me a low user rating for suggesting Dev C++. Very immature forum for using the rating feature because of a indifference of opinion. I've never found any faults with using it and for one, if you don't got the money to use Visual Studio 2008, or for whatever reason don't like Express then you get what you pay for.

When answering what's the "best" and "free" I can only go based on what's been the "best" for me. Dev C++ still will be my choice if for whatever reason my Visual Studio 2008 didn't work.

Quote:
Original post by MrCpaw
When answering what's the "best" and "free" I can only go based on what's been the "best" for me. Dev C++ still will be my choice if for whatever reason my Visual Studio 2008 didn't work.
Dev C++ would continually crash. In fact, just pressing the button to launch the debugger would do it 100% of the time. These crashes would often blank out my code files.

There were all kinds of problems with it, and it only got worse with newer versions.

The only reason it was used at all, was because it was the only real free solution at the time. But better things came along. MinGW Studio (DEAD), and Code::Blocks. C::B is fine for most, and it's STABLE.

Quote:
Original post by MrCpaw
I only listed Dev C++ because it's worked for me for all my programs. I find it funny how people will give me a low user rating for suggesting Dev C++. Very immature forum for using the rating feature because of a indifference of opinion. I've never found any faults with using it and for one, if you don't got the money to use Visual Studio 2008, or for whatever reason don't like Express then you get what you pay for.

Have you read what it says on the rating page? It says to rate people for helpfulness and friendliness.
Now, I'll agree there's nothing particularly unfriendly about suggesting a bad compiler, but it sure is unhelpful. Encouraging beginners to use the worst IDE on the market is not what I consider helpful.
It's not your opinion that is unhelpful, but your actual suggestion to others to use inferior tools.

The compiler it uses is available in other IDE's as well, and the IDE itself has not been maintained for years, is unstable and lacking in features.

If you like it for the compiler, use the compiler with another IDE. If you like it for the IDE, you're just wrong. [grin]

Quote:
Original post by Daaark
The only reason it was used at all, was because it was the only real free solution at the time. But better things came along. MinGW Studio (DEAD), and Code::Blocks.

And, uhm, MSVC Express ? Seriously, unless you really, really must have a gcc derived compiler, there is absolutely no reason to use anything else than MSVC 2008 Express on Windows. None. Period.

Quote:

BTW: Is anyone using OpenWatcom still? At one point Watcom was very popular...

Heh, Watcom. Reminds me of DOS4GW and coding demos under DOS :) Great times !

Last I checked, OpenWatcoms compiler still had a lot of problems with modern C++ code. Especially templates, variable scoping bugs, etc. It was basically on the level of VC6, didn't have a decent STL implementation and couldn't compile Boost. It had a very good (standalone) debugger though, which I found the be pretty much on par with MSVC's (expect for the horrible programmer art in the UI ;)

This topic is 3295 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.