How should i start?

Started by
5 comments, last by Yann L 15 years, 4 months ago
Hey, I was going to make a game with my friends, we are 5 right now. But we do not really know how to begin? We are no noobs, we have the experience of 3ds max, photoshop, sound, effects,animation,lua,php etc. But we know nothing about programming, even if some wanna work with us, we also wanna learn ourselves. Are there any guides on how to learn, and which program to use to make games in C + + that supports Lua, networking with lan, physics, graphics, etc. Have a couple of books about it but not really what Im looking for, I want to know how to program AI, graphics, DX9, OpenGL, networking and how to make a game engine. Then when we're done with the game and may want to sell it, how can we use Copyright, licenses and stuff? What programs i try to use right now: (Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2008 Express Edition) Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition Some tips and links would be good, thanks! NOTE: The game will be in 3d, fps and im not so interested in books, even tho its best i learn by university, isnt there any other way to learn this quick? I know a friend of mine, he started to learn when he was about 11 years old, so how should i do O.o? Remember that im a complete noob/beginner at programming
Advertisement
In short: by setting a simpler target, rather than a FPS. Enthusiasm is great but it does not substitute knowledge, skillset, and experience.

Quote:But we know nothing about programming,
Pardon, but when you say this, I must doubt your previous statement about what you do know. Because you mention Lua and PHP, and I must ask, what were you doing with Lua and PHP if not programming? In fact, have you or any of your friends successfully added something of value to a game? Whether it was new models or textures or sounds, or anything of that sort. Or is your experience really along the lines of you played around with a bunch of programs and feel comfortable using them, but have never done anything more? I ask seriously, because it influences the answer we would give you.

Quote: The game will be in 3d, fps and im not so interested in books, even tho its best i learn by university, isnt there any other way to learn this quick?
No, there isn’t a quick substitute method for gaining this knowledge, or people would be using it. The reason people spend years learning before they start making complex games is because that is very much how long it takes. It means significant time spent in reading and practicing. That’s serious dedication, and if you’re looking for quickie guides that teach you everything, it’s not happening. And you aren’t interested in reading books? Well, what can I say.

There are alternatives, but a fresh FPS from 5 people with no programming experience isn’t happening. If you’re willing to accept reality, you’ll get plenty of alternative suggestions and encouragement. That's up to you and yhour friends though.
Quote:Original post by Xerox23
Hey, I was going to make a game with my friends, we are 5 right now.

But we do not really know how to begin?

We are no noobs, we have the experience of 3ds max, photoshop, sound, effects,animation,lua,php etc.
But we know nothing about programming, even if some wanna work with us, we also wanna learn ourselves.

Sorry, but without programming skills and knowledge you won't go far. As mentioned in the previous post, an idea is great, but you need the skills and knowledge to implement it.

Quote:
Are there any guides on how to learn, and which program to use to make games in C + +
that supports Lua, networking with lan, physics, graphics, etc.

Well, I doubt that there is a guide that would include in one box everything you mentioned. You'd better get some good books. Yes, books, because they give you the basics and start the foundation for your knowledge. You have some v ery ambitious plans, including networking and great graphics in your game, but considering that you have never developed any video games and have no experience with programming, most likely you won't manage to accomplish this task. Developing networking interactions and physics engines is a very complicated process that requires a solid understanding of physics, math (linear algebra and trigonometry) and programming principles. You need years of experience to acquire solid skills. Why don't you and your team develop something small, but which works (a good example is an arcade game). This will also give you an understanding of how all this stuff works.

Quote:
Have a couple of books about it but not really what Im looking for, I want to know how to program AI, graphics, DX9, OpenGL, networking and how to make a game engine.

It could be only my opinion, but actually books are the starting point. You should read it, understand it, learn the principles (ideas) from the book and try to implement them. When you know nothing about programming, that's the best way to start. And as I said, at the very beginning it is a big mistake to start with DirectX, OpenGL and networking. Learn the basic principles of a programming language (and of course the principles of object-oriented programming). Start slow and you will reach higher.

Quote:
Then when we're done with the game and may want to sell it, how can we use Copyright, licenses and stuff?

First, develop your game, then start thinking about copyright and licenses. When you have nothing developed, who will buy that?

Quote:
What programs i try to use right now: (Microsoft Visual Studio C++ 2008 Express Edition)
Microsoft Visual Basic 2008 Express Edition

Some tips and links would be good, thanks!

Using these tools is a good start. That is pretty much enough for hobbyst needs (like yours). However, with experience you will see that those tools are a little bit limited for professional needs and you will need something like Microsoft Visual Studio Professional and up. But it is more than enough for your current needs.

Quote:
NOTE:
The game will be in 3d, fps and im not so interested in books, even tho its best i learn by university, isnt there any other way to learn this quick?
I know a friend of mine, he started to learn when he was about 11 years old, so how should i do O.o?

Remember that im a complete noob/beginner at programming

There is no 'quick' way to learn programming. Everything comes with experience. Mentioned many times - start slow and reach high. And I don't understand why do you reject the option of learning from books? Without any experience in programming and a wish to learn it 'quick and without much effort', a 3D game project will most likely remain just an idea.
ConsoleDev - Junior Game Developer

"But we know nothing about programming,Pardon, but when you say this, I must doubt your previous statement about what you do know. Because you mention Lua and PHP, and I must ask, what were you doing with Lua and PHP if not programming? In fact, have you or any of your friends "

Lol im sorry, we are programming lua and php but not C++
But anyway, do you know any books thats for beginners to make an engine from scratch?
There is no book to walk you step by step through about 5 years of work.
Quote:Original post by Xerox23

"But we know nothing about programming,Pardon, but when you say this, I must doubt your previous statement about what you do know. Because you mention Lua and PHP, and I must ask, what were you doing with Lua and PHP if not programming? In fact, have you or any of your friends "

Lol im sorry, we are programming lua and php but not C++
But anyway, do you know any books thats for beginners to make an engine from scratch?

Why do you want to start with something complicated from the very beginning? Do a small game - tic-tac-toe (which is not as easy to develop as you may think) or anything else of this type. Developing an engine for 3D games takes several years for professional teams. And developing a game engine is definitely not the 'beginner' type of job. I think that your approach ('give me something fast and with less effort') is wrong. Review my last post for details on that.

ConsoleDev - Junior Game Developer
Count at least one year of (intensive) learning until you have aquired a good-enough grasp of C++ to attempt this. Then count around two years for a working and acceptably looking 3D engine that can be used in a game (but don't expect it to compete with AAA engines, you'll need a lot of experience to pull this off). Add another two years for a good network engine (this one will drive you insane, use some middleware instead). Add another year for sound, game logic, putting everything together, etc. And these figures are optimistic and require all of you to continuously invest many hours every day, over the entire 5 to 6 years.

I would suggest to drop this idea for now. I understand that you want something up and running quickly and you want to learn by doing it. The best course of action would be to write a mod for an existing game. That's already a pretty challenging task for a beginner, but you will get results much quicker.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement