Best 3D sculpting software

Started by
6 comments, last by zer0wolf 15 years, 4 months ago
Hey, I've been modeling for about 3 years, the old fashion way(wire frame) for video games that im developing and i need to know which is the best sculping tool. I have a tight budget so i need to know which out of the following tools i should buy: Silo, 3D-Coat, Curvy3D, Hexagon3D and Canvas3D. If there is any other affordable sculpting tools (under $300) please let me know. P.S I am not interested in using blender.....
Advertisement
I'm not a huge proponent of Blender, as I don't use it myself, but why are you saying right off the bat that you won't use it? Seems a bit naive to me.

Out of the tools you listed I've tried Silo3D and Hexagon. Silo3D has a wonderful interface and is probably the most intuitive modeler I've ever used. Hexagon was well, not nearly at that level.

Silo3D doesn't have the breadth for sculpting as in particular Mudbox has, but for shear usability for modeling in general, I don't think there is a better option out there.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
I used blender for about a year for importing models that i created in animation master 2003 and it does have alot of useful tools but its such a hassle just to save a project (just one of the hasstles...lol). One time i lost all my work because of the whole saving situation. That is just one example why i dont use it anymore.... believe it or not im doing pretty good with TrueSpace7.6 ( even though it crashes some times). I really do want to get my hands on MudBox but it costs so much...But i found a OEM website selling it for 99.95. Should i trust this website and buy it? It seems to good to be true...But i'm so tempted though...

Here's the link: http://www.manufacturingsystemsoftware.com/software/pc/autodesk_psg/autodesk_mudbox_1.0_professional.html
No, it's Warez.

How do you have trouble saving stuff with Blender? It's CTRL-W, or file->Save.

I've watched a few videos on sculpting, it seems to work fine?
Im not very big into the whole animation thing, but if maya is the same type of program, and your a student. You really should check out the student stores maya lists on there website. Found Maya 2009 Unlimited 2009 Student edition... ( like 6.4k normal ) for $200. Was thinking of getting it for a friend for chrismas. But kinda expencive, and she doesnt have a computer that can take it lol
Wings 3d?
besides SketchUp, I haven't found any other modeler that I like
Thanks, i knew it was to good to be true! anyways wow... i was so into animation master i didnt notice that blender became so powerful, I should have kept up and paid more attention to blender's capabilities since i took all of the programming courses from the game institute which is all about "paying attention" and "detail"...lol! I was only using it for some modeling, texturing and exporting xfiles. I was using v2.44 at the time i had the problem saving...But im going to download the latest version. So which is better sculpting wise... Blender or Silo3D??? Cause i still might wana buy silo still...

[Edited by - ho0va65 on December 7, 2008 4:27:48 AM]
Like I said, I'm not really all that intimately familiar with Blender, but Silo3D's workflow is so intuitive its beautiful. Silo3D ONLY does modeling and sculpting, but because of this they've been able to focus on the "zen" modeling intent.

Blender has become quite the powerhouse, especially considering its price of free.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement