Sign in to follow this  

What is the best portable C++ compiler?

This topic is 3292 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello everyone, I am new to GD forums. I always like to program away from home. I am currently using Dev C++ but I really miss the intellisense. Is there any other C++ compiler that is more like MSVC++? And no, a laptop is not an option. Thanks for any help!

I use Code::Blocks, it fits on my flash drive. You have to download a compiler to go along with it because it is just an IDE, but there are instructions on its website on where to get these. It has intellisense and quite a few features I wish MSVC++ had. The other option is Eclipse, which I've used for Java. I know there is a C++ version, but I don't know how good it is.

Hello, landes1024, welcome to the forums.

Your post has me confused as to what you are trying to do? Are you trying to write and compile code on a portable device, or something similar, but not a laptop? One of the most portable compilers is probably GCC. It runs on Linux (And other Unix platforms), and Windows in the form of MinGW.

If I misunderstood you, please let me know.

Sorry if I confused you, I meant a flash drive.
And thanks Treb, I'll try Code::Blocks.

But how exactally do you make it portable? All I see on their site is an .exe.
Thanks again. :)

Ah, okay, I see what you mean.

Code::Blocks is probably your best choice then.

When installing Code::Blocks it will ask you if you want to install MinGW (IIRC). So, when you install both of them, make sure you tell them to install onto the flash drive and you should be okay. I've never tried using Code::Blocks on a flash drive, so you may just want to give it a shot, and see how it works.

The .exe is the installer, if you tell that to install on a flash drive you should be able to run it from there.

And "portable" as far as compilers (and programs) can also mean the ability to run on multiple OS's so that's why JParishy was confused.

edit: mixed names up :P

I got the previous question fixed, but...
When something builds:

-------------- Build: Release in Test5 ---------------

Compiling: main.cpp

I get a pop up:

Windows - No Disk

---
|X| Exception Processing Messsage blah blah Parameters blah blah blah
---

Cancel Try Again Continue

And when I click any of the buttons it just comes back again. I have to reboot to get rid of it!!

This topic is 3292 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.