Fighting Game Basics

Started by
3 comments, last by Kest 15 years, 4 months ago
In short: what are the rules of a fighting game? I want to make one. I'll start with describing a generic fighting game. Two characters always facing each other are spatially described by x (distance from each other), y (jumping, ducking), and an animation frame. Reach is important. The arena might be finite or infinite in width. It's possible to move back, forth, duck and jump. The attacks are punch, kick, and throw. They may be combined with moves (jump + kick = dropkick) to produce basic combos. Then there are predefined combos for each character that are longer and harder to input but deal more damage. There is one block or two (standing, crouching) that blocks attacks. There may be attacks for breaking blocks. Each fighter has health, and maybe power that powers some attacks. Fight ends with one character losing all health or time running out. Each attack is like a music note with attack, sustain, and release. Attack is the time span between the first frame of the animation until the frame the damage is dealt. Stronger attacks and attacks with bigger reach have longer attack and release times. Sustain is the amount of damage an attack does. Release is the time between the damage frame and the last frame of the animation. Gameplay-wise a good fighting game must have unique yet balanced characters, must discourage senseless button mashing, must support both slow and fast players, must not have infinitely long combos... what else? Conveniently, TvTropes has a page about this. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FightingGame http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CompetitiveBalance If anyone has made a fighting game, please share your experience. Discuss!
Advertisement
You seem to have the lot covered, although how could you forget finishing moves :P
Depending on the target audience the addition of counter attacks can be good. For example one can have a chance to counter an enemy's throw during the initial stage of the throw and thus avoiding it and deal some small amount of damage.

I think counters can lead to more tactical fights but it also widens the gap between the good players and the bad ones which may or may not be what you want.
Counter attacks are good, but they should have a limit. For example you have three counter moves that can be used every minute. Reason I state this is because counter moves can lead to some really unfair fights. Hit -> Counter, Hit -> Counter, Player Dead.
Quote:Original post by MrCpaw
Counter attacks are good, but they should have a limit. For example you have three counter moves that can be used every minute. Reason I state this is because counter moves can lead to some really unfair fights. Hit -> Counter, Hit -> Counter, Player Dead.

I would add certain moves that are not countered by the counter. Tekken did this with throws and low hits. When my sparring buddy gets into the groove with Jin and starts grabbing every punch I swing at him, I'll just start tossing him around with throws. I've won many fights that way. It keeps the countering in check, allowing me to throw more punches the next round.

It's also important to make the counter window small, and to have it take a little time to pull back from. That way, it's easy to fake someone out with a forward step or dash move. If you can get them to use a counter on something like that, not only do you make them look foolish, you make them wide open for attack.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement