Sound Card for Audio Production

Started by
17 comments, last by Stone Lion 15 years, 3 months ago
Im now looking at something like this.. Sorry about all the posts. I just want to make the right decision.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMU0202
Adam SmithComposerAdam Smith Studios www.asmithstudios.com
Advertisement
Wow.. I might get this actually..
http://cgi.ebay.com/E-MU-1820-PCI-Digital-Audio-System_W0QQitemZ220322875269QQcmdZViewItemQQptZKeyboards_MIDI?hash=item220322875269&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50
The Emu cards are good, but I'd hold off on getting something that complex till you know what you need. Get something simple but fully featured.
Alright Ive been sniffing around some more. What do you think of this?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/EMu-0404-USB-2.0-Recording-Interface?sku=242516

Now just so I am understanding this clearly.. this will be used to replace my current sound card. I will no longer need it. Correct?
You never really answered my implied question, ie. "what the hell are you hoping to do with your sound card?" Without that, it's hard to give any kind of informed opinion on the multitude of interfaces that seem to be catching your eye. If it has the inputs you need, at the price you want, it's probably ok. But think about what else your system does: games, home theatre, etc. Those applications require different support (hardware and software) and will dictate whether you can ditch your existing card or not. Thus, they can also influence whether it's worth just getting an external interface instead.
I want at least one mic pre amp. I want one or 2 1/4 audio jacks. I want it to be able to replace my current sound card. I intend to do midi sequencing and have it record live if need be. I only need to record one source at a time since Im a one man band. Thats about it. I think the last link I posted will cover the above. Anyone agree? Thanks again for the help.
The 0404 is a good one.
Quote:Original post by dragnmastr85
I want at least one mic pre amp.

Need phantom power for a condensor mic?
Quote:I want one or 2 1/4 audio jacks.

In, out, both?
Quote:I want it to be able to replace my current sound card.

What do you use your existing sound card for?
Quote:I intend to do midi sequencing and have it record live if need be. I only need to record one source at a time since Im a one man band.

One audio source? Stereo, presumably?

Quote:I think the last link I posted will cover the above. Anyone agree?

Probably. Once you start paying that much you can pretty much do anything as far as recording goes. It just starts being about the number of inputs and the quality. But it says nothing about its suitability for games, or home theatre, or backwards compatibility, or anything like that. For those applications, it's often worth keeping a home user's card too.

The EMU 0404 USB 2.0 is good. I got one a few months ago and am very happy with it. Good perfomance for the price and I love the knobs on top.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement