Thinking about a new game

Started by
1 comment, last by jbadams 15 years, 4 months ago
Hello, my name is Dave, I'm new on this forums and I'm thinking about starting a new game. For myself I've been working with Q3 Radiant for about five years and I've also made some minor projects in the past year with 3ds max. I've released a few custom maps for some games with the Q3 editor and I'm working for a company right now. The reason for me to start this thread is that I'm thinking about starting working on a first person shooter myself. That will be my first game. My budget isn't too great but I'm able to invest a few hunderd dollars into an engine, people that are willing to make buildings and such for the Q3 editor and people that are willing to make some scripts. First, I've started thinking about an engine. I personally like 'freedom' in games in steat of being restricted to a small map. Probably the torque engine will give me the best price/quality relation in that case. Is this the right choice? Second, I've got several good idea's for games but I'm not sure which one will be best for a first game, since my budget it's too great, as I said. My idea's so far are: - zombie survival game, infection outbreak, the player is ment to survive with the help of other people for a few days/weeks. - dinosaur survival game, the player and some other people get accidentaly teleported 200 milions years back in time with a time machine and is now trying to surive while repairing the time machine. - gladiator game, the player is a gladiator in roman time and needs to survive in the arena and then escape from the roman empire. - an alien attack on earth, the player needs to survive an alien attack on earth and then attack the alien spaceship. I haven't worked out the idea's too much, but I think that the coop mode will be best to make. Singleplayer only is probably easy to crack, so that leaves coop and multiplayer. I was thinking to tweak the torque engine so that it can be played with 512 people at one team and then put CPU's at the other one. Can any of you help me pick which idea is best and how to make it most realistic and fun to play? Thanks
Advertisement
Someone please?
Hi Dave,

Quote:Original post by Die Hard
I'm thinking about starting working on a first person shooter myself. That will be my first game.
Ok. I saw above that you've got some experience modelling and creating levels, but have you done any programming or scripting in the past? As this is your first project you may find that you're unable to do everything you want to do without either learning to code or getting help from a programmer, even with an existing engine. There are a few products out there that allow you to create an FPS with no coding what-so-ever, but they're somewhat more limited than a full-blown engine, and to work with an engine (even if it comes with tools) you'll probably at least need to know the basics of compiling code. Just something to be aware of if you were hoping an engine would give you the same level of support as modding an existing title.

Quote:My budget isn't too great but I'm able to invest a few hunderd dollars into an engine, people that are willing to make buildings and such for the Q3 editor and people that are willing to make some scripts.
Good, the fact that you're willing to spend a little money puts you ahead of a lot of people who're aiming to make a game. Unfortunately however, "a few hundred dollars" probably won't go all that far - it's certainly doable, but you'll have to be pretty tight with your budget and be sure to negotiate a good deal with anyone you're hiring to help out.

Quote:First, I've started thinking about an engine. I personally like 'freedom' in games in steat of being restricted to a small map. Probably the torque engine will give me the best price/quality relation in that case. Is this the right choice?
It's certainly a viable option, and it's also quite well supported. You could also consider the C4 Engine, although I'm under the impression (but have no personal experience to back it up) that it's better suited for enclosed indoor environments, which may not suit your goals.

As for your ideas, all are currently pretty underdeveloped, so there isn't really all that much to set them apart - any of those could make for a good game. Due to your limited budget I would advise having a think about which idea might be most achievable using a limited number of models, as it sounds like you may have trouble affording too many.

I know that wasn't the most useful response, but I thought I'd at least chime in with some input since noone else had answered yet. Hope it helps, good luck! [smile]

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement